Convert from underground oil tank to above


Old 05-23-05, 07:06 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 75
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Convert from underground oil tank to above

Hello All,
I have a 500 gal oil tank that is underground and need to buy a oil tank to go in the basement. So I have two questions.
The first is to do with the oil pump that is on the burner. The one I have now pumps the oil from the tank to the burner and back to the oil tank.
Correct me if I am wrong but the new aboveground oil tank has only a supply line with no return line. Is that true? If so do I need a different oil pump for my burner?

The second question is to do with the oil fill pipe to the new tank from outside.
Oil fill pipe to the oil tank and a vent from the oil tank to the outside, right?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 07:33 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 14,247
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Bsmt tank

If you intend to feed the burner off of the bottom of the new tank, the pump would have to be converted to a one pipe configuration. If you can give me make & model of the pump, I can probably tell you how to do it.
As to your tank piping: Yes you need a fill pipe (2") & a vent (1.25" minimum) with a whistle (ventalarm).
These comments are code acceptable in my area but I suggest you check with code officials where you live.
Old 05-24-05, 05:37 AM
KField's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 3,245
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grady is right. The most common fitting for the vent is a combination ventalarm and gauge. It is important for the company who fills the tank to be able to hear the whistle from the vent alarm to know when the tank is full. Make sure you have at least 5 feet from the tank to the appliance and at least 3 feet from the tank to your main circuit panel in the house (fire code). Also you must use black steel pipe for the fill and vent. You can have pieces cut and threaded to your specs at HD and others. Use a thread sealant that is compatible with oil but NOT teflon tape. Post back with any other questions.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: