Need to Relocate/Replace Cast Iron Baseboard

Old 06-02-05, 07:22 PM
trini
Visiting Guest
Need to Relocate/Replace Cast Iron Baseboard

Has anyone replaced cast iron hotwater baseboard before? I live in a house built in 1955 that has the original cast iron baseboard heating. I am moving the location of the front door and need to relocate about 25 feet of baseboard.

I had a plumber come and he said it would be easier to simply remove and scrap the existing baseboard and replace it with all new cast iron baseboard units in that particular room. I have installed finned copper baseboard before but have never worked with cast iron. I understand it comes in 1', 2', 3' and 6' sections that need to be joined together somehow if you want a run longer than 6'.

My question is are there special tools needed for this, how hard is it and is it worth doing. I got a quote from the plumber but it was a ridiculous amount for over 4,000. I contacted two other plumbers and they say they are so busy right now that they are not even accepting this type of work.

All of the supply lines can be accessed easily from the basement below where I have drop ceilings in place.

Thanks

Old 06-03-05, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Cast Iron Baseboard

Cast iron baseboard is expensive but that price sounds awfully high. The only "special tools" required are pipe clamps or some other homemade device used to pull the sections together. Installing cast iron baseboard is not difficult but must be done carefully insuring the sections are pulled together evenly. Burnham does make a tool for assembly but I've never used or even seen one. Very detailed instructions are aviailable on the web at:
http://www.burnham.com/pdfs/CurrentPDFfiles?81441001R7(web).pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: