remove/reinstall steam radiators

Old 07-01-05, 06:33 PM
nmcbride
Visiting Guest
remove/reinstall steam radiators

Hello, this is my first post to the forum. I'm a carpenter with a new old house, featuring a one-pipe steam heat system. I need to remove a radiator while I gut and renovate the bathroom it's in, then reinstall it when I'm finished. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of removing and painting behind several other radiators as well.

Can anyone give me a description of the steps involved in draining/refilling the system? I'm new to steam, have done this in the past with hot water but not sure how different it is. Thanks very much, all best--Nate McBride

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-05, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Nate

If you have done hot water, you are in for a treat when working on a steam system because there should be no draining or refilling involved. Once the system is cold, there should be no pressure on it & the only water you should have would be some condensate in the radiators. We are talking probably less than a 1/2 gallon per radiator, if that. The biggest things I can caution you about are when reinstalling to make sure the rads are pitched slightly toward the pipe. This is to allow the condensate to run back on the bottom while steam come in on top of it. Make all efforts to keep debris out of the piping & rads. Maybe one of the other guys, more familiar with steam than I will see this thread & jump in here with some more tips.

Old 07-03-05, 01:44 PM
nmcbride
Visiting Guest
thanks...

Grady, thanks for your reply, I am indeed happy to hear there's less fooling around involved than with hot water! Gutted the bathroom yesterday and found a massive tangle of galvanized water supply piping; replacing that should keep me out of trouble long enough for the paint on the radiators to get good and dry...all best, Nate

Old 07-03-05, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Galvanized Spaggetti

Better you than me . If you run into any snags, post back here & we'll see what we can do to bail you out. Good Luck