is it live?

Old 07-06-05, 10:51 AM
michaelacas
Visiting Guest
is it live?

we are remodelling our 2nd floor master bath, and when removing some built-in shelving, i found what im assuming is a supply and return where a radiator was removed. the return is just a hole in the floor, and the supply is a pipe which comes up from the floor a couple of inches and is capped. how do i find out if this supply is live? if it is live, how should i disconnect it without hampering the rest of the radiators upstairs? all i really need is for it to be below the floor so i can tile over it.

Old 07-06-05, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Supply Pipe

Unless there is a valve somewhere in that line & it is connected to the main, you have to presume it contains water, presuming this is a hot water & not steam system. If it is steam, you don't have to worry about water pressure.

Old 07-07-05, 09:06 AM
michaelacas
Visiting Guest
its hot water. so, even if the boiler is off, is the water in the pipes under pressure? does the boiler get fresh water from the main, or does it constantly recycle the same water? can i empty the system before making the adjustment and then refill it? what is the "sensible" way to go about this?

Old 07-07-05, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hot water pipe

Unless there is a valve which is turned off between the main & this old radiator location, there will be pressure on the pipe. The water in a hot water heating system is recirculated but there is a fill (pressure reducing) valve somewhere near the boiler. This would have to be turned off before draining. If you are not going all the way back to the main, the system would not have to be completely drained, only the pressure relieved. The hard part is going to be finding where the pipe in question ties to the main.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: