turn down heat or leave constant temperature?

Old 07-10-05, 07:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
turn down heat or leave constant temperature?

Winter heating question -- Someone told me I'd save money by leaving my thermostat set to a constant temperature instead of lowering it for night or when I leave the house (I fluctuate between 55 and 68). I have an oil fed boiler with baseboard heat and live in a cold winter climate (Maine).

This makes NO sense to me if I'm going to leave the house for 24 hours or more. It makes minimal sense if I turn it down for ~8 hours. I can understand what they're saying if I adjust it every couple hours . . . What's the cutoff point?

In other words, if I keep it at 68 when I'm home and awake, and am going to leave or sleep for a while, how long should I be gone to justify setting the temp back? 2 hours? 4 hours? 8 hours? A day?

I've read conflicting opinions on energy websites. In addition to your opinion, do you know of any experiments done? Thanks!!

Old 07-11-05, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Temp set back

Most hot water systems will not warm the space as quickly as a warm air furnace & therefore must be turned back up sooner. In a nutshell, I would say to leave it alone if the setback period is going to be 8 hours or less. The only experiment I can point to is my own experience. I have three zones & only set back one of them (the bedrooms) because the house is only vacant for about 6-7 hours/day. Recovery time is going to vary with the outdoor temperature because the greater the temperature difference between indoors & out, the faster the house looses heat.

Old 08-10-05, 02:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I live in Maine also. 2 years ago I was turning the bedroom heat down at night by 5. One weekend day when it was -20, I noticed it took nearly 8 hours of constant running to heat that one zone. Where did I save? Last winter I just left it at one constant temp. I have a hot water system. When I had the Hot Air system it was much faster on the warm-up. But I do like the baseboard much better.

Not only do you have to heat the room, you also have to reheat the wall cavities.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: