no pressure in forced hot water system

Old 07-11-05, 07:38 PM
ejreagan
Visiting Guest
no pressure in forced hot water system

Hi there. first time posting so please be patiient. As a full time do-it-yourselfer I inadvertently cut a hole (sawzall mania) in my baseboard heating pipe. I immediately ran to the boiler (summertime, no heat running) and opened the purge valve (so marked) to take the pressure off the system to stop the sprinkler I created in the pipe. It worked, but I forgot to close the purge valve and about 2 hours later while the hot water was running in the shower the system purged everything. Since then no consistent hot water in the house, the heat does not complete the circuit of the house and there is no pressure in the system at all. In addition the system runs intermitently just as before to maintain hot water temp. Problem is one the coil drains off, no hot water.

By the way, the boiler (Blue Circle about 20+ years old) supplies both hot water and heat to the house. House is one zone. There is a shutoff valve and then a valve with a hose nozzle directely beyond the circulator and the same setup just before the return enters the bolier again. The refill valve on the system is always open. Oh yeah, there is an expansion tank top of the boiler and there are two feeds to the boiler, one on the bottom and one on the top. I think the one on top looks like it has something to do with the hot water.

My question is how do I refill this thing. I was about to take a garden hose and connect it to one side of the system and open the purge valve on the other side until it was full but then I stared reading your forums and figuerd that wasn't right. Any ideas?

Last edited by ejreagan; 07-11-05 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-12-05, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
In a pinch

Your idea would work as long as you don't excede about 25 psig on the boiler.
I've filled more than one boiler system thru the boiler drain at the bottom of the boiler using a garden & washing machine hose.
You need to find out why the reducing (feed) valve is not feeding water. The strainer could be clogged or the valve in need of replacement.

Old 07-19-05, 10:06 AM
ejreagan
Visiting Guest
thanks

Grady,
Thanks. I ended up calling a freind who knew a guy who's sisters's brother (joking) knew something about boilers and it ended up that I needed to replace the "dual valves". It seems the feeder valve was a mess and was nearing death anyway, so it was a good thing it happened during the summer.
Eddie

Old 07-19-05, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Eddie

Glad you got it fixed up. During the off season you should go ahead & have the boiler cleaned & serviced. By doing it now you will be ready when cold weather hits & avoid the rush at the end of the summer & into the fall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: