Boiler on its last legs? What next?

Old 09-14-05, 04:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler on its last legs? What next?

I live in a 1000 sq foot cape built in 1930 in northern NY that we just bought. The current boiler is a Burnham Pace Pak installed in 1967. It is a 85,000 net btu per hour water. We just had its annual servicing and restarted because we ran out of oil b/c of a faulty guage. The repairman said that the pump was sluggish and we should really consider a new boiler. (The pump pressure was ok however).

He suggested a Weil Mclain WTGO gold series 3. I forgot to ask him the size. The unit with installation would cost $3800-$3900.

I am wondering if I should replace and what kind of unit I should consider. I was hoping to get another winter out of it.

Some other specs. The oil company said the previous owner burned between 900-1300 gallons a year which seems quite high. Our hot water also is heated off the boiler.

Where could I learn all about boilers. Should I replcae it?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 09-14-05, 04:28 PM
J
Just to add, the repairman was pouring it on a little. Like saying he had never seen a boiler so old. He was a young guy, but 1967 doesn't seem so ancient to me. It's seems a little farfetched that he would of never seen something that old. At first he had said that it was original to the house until I pointed out the manual and the uh.. coal skuttle.

Old 09-14-05, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If the teck was a good oil burner guy he should have cleaned and set the burner ,new nozzle and filter gap the electrodes could have put in a smaller nozzle and kick up the pump psi. set the draft over the fire and stack temp with a good test kit. check and see where you could save on oil is the home tight good insulation??

ED

Old 09-14-05, 05:19 PM
J
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
If the teck was a good oil burner guy he should have cleaned and set the burner ,new nozzle and filter gap the electrodes could have put in a smaller nozzle and kick up the pump psi. set the draft over the fire and stack temp with a good test kit. check and see where you could save on oil is the home tight good insulation??

ED
I know he did the filter and cleaning, new nozzle, etc. I'm sure the insulation isn't great in this house.

I'm not sure I should give up on the boiler just because it's old.

He seemed a little eager to sell me a new one. He said there was a lot of sludge in the line, pump was sluggish, hard to restart, yada yada, yada. But pump psi was fine whn it got running. Hmmm. I figure that's what happens when you run it down to the bottom of the tank.

There are many things I could do to better insulate this house. Sure, a new boiler would be a good idea. We just bought the house and are a little tapped financially. I would just rather wait until say...my tax return.

What do you think?

Old 09-14-05, 05:32 PM
Wink

Well anything can go out. But id say go with what you have. As I said did he set the burner with a good combustion test kit after he cleaned the boiler and the oil burner good .Did he clean the pump screen also.should have if he had all this sludge he said. If so it should burn at about 75% to 80% what more can you ask for. Id work on the house here first to save fuel cost.

ED

Old 09-14-05, 05:44 PM
J
Thanks. Honestly, I don't know exactly what he did. I know he did the filter and nozzle and cleaned out the sludge to get it running. But I will ask him. If he is a good burner guy, he should have no problem being up front about the work he did. If he isn't, well that says something too.

The people who lived here clearly put no effort into insulating. I would rather do that and save my pennies for a new boiler at the time of my choosing. In the meantime, I will learn more and make an informed decision rather than being scared into buying something.

Any sources for how works a boiler, furnace 101, etc?

Thanks.

Old 09-14-05, 05:52 PM
Wink

Try http://www.freepoolheat.com/oil.html
It will tell you how an oil burner works. make sur all the air is out of the lines and the expansion tank is not full

ED

Old 09-14-05, 06:29 PM
J
Thanks. I will check it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: