Replacing old burnham radiator with baseboard?

Old 09-26-05, 10:44 AM
Noel
Visiting Guest
Replacing old burnham radiator with baseboard?

I want to remove a "Modren Cast Iron Radiator" by Burnham and replace with a baseboard radiator.
The existing supply and return come up through the floor about 12" apart and 90 into the bottom of existing radiator.
Without ripping up my floor and re-routing the pipes, can I run the supply and return along the floor under the baseboard and then into new baseboard radiator?
Does anyone have any better ideas.

I want to replace it beacause the existing radiator takes up to much space.

Thanks for any help or advice

Old 09-27-05, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Good intent-Bad idea

There are a coulple of problems with what you want to do. First of all you are going to loose a lot of heating capacity when replacing a radiator with an equivalent length of baseboard. Secondly, presuming the rest of that loop is also radiators, mixing radiatiors & baseboard on the same loop generally does not work well due to the warm up rate of the two different materials.

Old 09-28-05, 05:14 AM
Noel
Visiting Guest
Ok, here's some add'l info. The system is pushed by a 1" loop with ventury T's to feed each radiator/baseboard. Already on the system is cast iron baseboard and radiators. The room in question is small and in the middle of a single floor house. The basement below this room is also heated (radiant).

Is this alteration possible?

Old 09-28-05, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Radiator

I suggest you go to: http://www.heatinghelp.com where you can order a book called EDR (Every Darned Radiator). From that you can likely find out the heating capacity of your radiator. Having that information & figuring aprox. 600 btu/ft you can determine how much baseboard you would need.

Old 09-29-05, 06:02 AM
Noel
Visiting Guest
Wink

Grady thanks for the info.
But I still am not sure about running the pipe along the floor under the baseboard with this kind of system. Will I still get flow through the venturies?

FYI
Work is for those who don't know how to GOLF!

Old 09-29-05, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Venturi system

Venturi (mono-flo tee) systems in general work very well. They can be really touchy though & I am far from an expert on them. I really don't know if it would work or not but I can tell you horizontal runs are usually not good. Some of the guys at the web site I linked to earlier are really good. If you are fortunate enough to live in New England, a lot of the local guys are strong in this particular configuration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: