New furnace for old hot water heating system

Old 09-28-05, 03:42 PM
johnemi1
Visiting Guest
New furnace for old hot water heating system

My non internet parents have an circa 1930's house in KY that uses hot water circulated thru big old cast iron radiators to heat their house. They need to replace the very old natural gas furnace because it is costing them a fortune to heat their 3200 sq ft house. One estimate was $10,000. Does that sound about right? Was also wondering if an electric furnace would be an option due to the price of gas going up. They are older and wanted me to investigate for them. Any help and education about this would be appreciated.

Old 09-28-05, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Replacement boiler

$10K sounds high but without seeing the job it's really hard to judge.

Old 09-28-05, 07:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Techincally, a furnace means forced hot air heating, while a boiler means forced hot water or steam.

Are you sure its a hot water system? Some boilers can be set up for water or steam. If there is only one pipe going to each radiatior, then it is steam. If there is two it could be water or steam, but most likely water.

$10,000 could be a very reasonable price, but no one can answer that without lots more information. eg - size of boiler, efficiency of boiler, accessibility to boiler, depending on when current boiler is from - asbestos removal, etc. Some boilers themselves cost $5,000+. The best thing is to get 3 different quotes.

As to gas vs. electric. You'll have to calculate how much it costs in your area. Here in WI, gas is $1.14 a therm and electric is $0.109 a KWH. To calculate this cost, make sure you take the total charges on your bill divided by amount used.

1 therm of gas has 100,000 BTU - cost per 100,000 BTU - $1.14

1 KWH of electricity has 3,412 BTU - cost per 100,000 BTU - $3.19
(100,000 / 3,412) * cost per KWH = cost per 100,000 BTU

So here in southern WI, electricity is almost 3 times more expensive.

Please post your gas/electric rates - I'm curious what other people pay for energy.

Michael

Old 09-29-05, 04:57 AM
johnemi1
Visiting Guest
I am sure it is a hot water system and not steam. I have helped my dad bleed the radiators. I wasn't sure whether to call it a boiler or furnace but now I know!
OK it is a Bryant Tubular Gas Boiler-can't find a year on it, but serial #is 34282.
Columbia Gas of KY is 9.7773 per Mcf with an annual adj. of 03196 per Mcf
Frankfort Plant Board electric is about 0.05 per KWH

I have found several HVAC companies that are Bryant distributors. Is Bryant still a good boiler?

Last edited by johnemi1; 09-29-05 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-29-05, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Replacing Boiler

Honestly, I don't know if Bryant still makes boilers. You might want to look into the modulating boilers. They are highly efficient & can be vented with plastic pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: