time to get the boiler up and running

Old 09-29-05, 05:36 PM
JTW4462
Visiting Guest
Unhappy time to get the boiler up and running

OK, last year i was having a problem with my prv popping constantly. It was the end of the saeson and i didn't need heat anymore so I just shut the system off. well when I shut it down I noticed the drain valve was also leaking so i drained the system. The intention was to fix it over the summer but that never happened. I figure i can go pick up a drain calve for a few bucks and a prv for a few more and swap them out. I figure the leak is what was causing the presure to get goofy. I mean if water was leaking out air had to have been getting in also. What i need to know is what is the correct procedure for refilling and bleeding the system.

It is a Hydrotherm boiler (HC-145C-P)... Has an expansion tank and no bleeders on the baseboards....3 zones....

Need any other info?

Thanks

Old 09-29-05, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Purging air

On the piping coming back to the boiler, there should be one or more purge tee's. Each tee should have a valve with a garden hose connection & a shut off valve between it & the boiler. To purge the air, turn on one thermostat, close the shut off valve, connect a hose to the hose bib, & open the open the hose bib. Allow water to flow until you no longer get air. Repeat for each zone.

Old 09-29-05, 06:25 PM
JTW4462
Visiting Guest
The only thing between my purge valves and my boiler are the zone vlaves. Is this correct?

Here is a pic to see what i am talking about.. http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pic...J/100_0731.JPG

Last edited by JTW4462; 09-29-05 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Valve locations

If you can host some pics on Yahoo or elsewhere & provide a link it would be a big help.

Old 09-30-05, 03:44 AM
JTW4462
Visiting Guest
can you not see the link i posted? or do you want more pics?

Old 09-30-05, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Red face Blind as a bat

Sorry 'bout that. I did not even see the link until you reminded me.
That is a strangely configured system. I would suggest purging one loop at a time until you get no more air. Next, try one thermostat at a time making sure to give the system time to circulate. If you have any functioning automatic air vents, it/they should take care of any remaining air. Let me know how things go.

Old 10-02-05, 07:29 PM
JTW4462
Visiting Guest
Well I think I got it... at least one zone.

I let it run for a few hours after I bled the one zone and everything seemed pretty quite. 2 more zones to go. I will prolly do them tomorrow or tuesday when I get a chance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: