Is Converting from tank to coil going to save me money?

Old 10-09-05, 05:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is Converting from tank to coil going to save me money?

I have a 10 year old Peerless 4 section oil fired boiler. rated tp 155K btu. Last year I went to a corn stove to heat the house and use the boiler only as a backup. For hot water it has a same age weil 40 gallon storage tank on one of the zones. Would it be worth the trouble to remove it and install the internal heating coil for hot water? Pros and cons appreciated.

Old 10-09-05, 05:45 PM
snydertech
Visiting Guest
I do not have a response for you (sorry), however and curious how your corn burner worked out last season? I recently purchased a pellet stove for this season, as my boiler is broken. I am somewhat skeptical it will heat my house properly though. Please let me know what you found.

Thanks,
David

Old 10-09-05, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Domestic hot water

Keeping the tank, especially if the boiler is set up as a "cold start", would be cheaper than operating a domestic coil. If all you are using the boiler for is domestic, a separate water heater should be a lot cheaper to operate.

Old 10-10-05, 04:54 AM
D
You gonna Love That Pellet Stove

It will easily heat your whole house if you use it right. Get your pellets now as the price will surely go sky high like last year by Dec. You need a small box fan pointing towards the stove if you want to heat down a hallway. I used a cheap 10" job from Wally world. Noticed a big drop in my electric bill with those fans going all the time. Seems that slam bang surge of the oil burner going on and off costs a small fortune. The heat from the stove is so much nicer than the oil burner too. BTW you can probably burn a mix of corn in that if you want to, its lots cheaper if you buy it bulk. I heated my whole place 1400 sf last winter on about 1 ton a month dead of winter in Northern NY.

Old 10-11-05, 05:59 AM
D
How much is a coil anyways?

I am not clear on the cold start thing. How do you do that with a boiler? The other thing in my case is that I do use the boiler for heating as a backup or when my multifuel crapps out, runs out of fuel like on vacation ect. Thats why I need to keep the boiler. If I was to switch this unit over to the coil what would the parts run? I can enlist the help of a retired guy who used to do this stuff decades ago.
Another question that haunts me. Whats the deal with coils. When I was building this place I asked all over the place. Everyone said I wouldn't be happy with one, not enough water sometimes, not hot enough........ Now I hear the opposite. Whats up with that.
FWIW in the pellet stoves there is a good yahoo group you can join for info and they sell them all over the net. Right now they are all 90 days backordered pretty much but you may be able to find something. Corn is a nice option as its cheaper by the ton, you just have to store it. Pellets are now $185 / ton if you look around and the local stores are starting to get them. You can get pellet and corn furnaces that hook up to your existing hvac too. The one I know of is Magnum brand made by American energy systems, Formerly owned by Countryside ( for your research purposes). Be careful buying on line especially this year as they like the money then stall you. That goes double when they can't supply their dealers like this year. You gonna get lied to for sure. Stay away from SNOWFLAME and DELL POINTE brands as many say you can't get parts at all some times. No personal experience there but bad news travels fast. You can easily heat a whole house in the coldest climate with a 40K btu unit. 30 will do it but when its cold in there you want the extra blast to get things going. The one thing I don't like is that there is no radiant heat like a wood stove. The plus side is that if you have asthma like my wife does a pellet stove shouldn't bother you at all. Here is a couple info sites I know of
http://hearth.com/ceilidh/ceilidh.html go to forums
http://www.magnumfireplace.com/tech_documents.cfm
http://www.fireplacesandwoodstoves.c...et-stoves.aspx
http://www.healthgoods.com/Education...appliances.htm

Old 10-11-05, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cold start

Cold start refers to a system where the boiler does not stay hot all the time but fires only on a call from a thermostat or indirect water heater tank.

I am not advocating the abandonment of the boiler just installing a domestic water heater.

Domestic coils in a boiler tend to crap up inside over time. I acid wash or replace several each year. They are also a terrible energy (money) waster because the boiler has to stay hot all the time.

Old 10-12-05, 12:46 AM
D
How difficult is it to convert a Peerless to cold start?

Is it a great big hassle and or is it worth it to convert a 4 section peerless to cold start? About all I use it for besides occasional use and backup is to run the hot water tank. How long does a Weil tank usually last( double wall, not inner coil type)? Would switching to cold start be workable to just run the 40 gallon tank? The one purpose it sort of serves is to keep the basement warmer in the -25F winters around here but thats about it unless the pellet stove breaks.

Old 10-12-05, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cold start

Please clear something up for me. You have an external hot water tank & yet the boiler stays hot all the time?

If it stays hot all the time, give me the number from the inside of the cover on the aquastat & I might be able to tell you how to convert.

Honestly, I have no experience with that type of tank but I would expect it to last a minimum of 10 years & likely much longer.

That part about keeping the basement warmer may be worth the cost of the fuel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: