Hot water boiler firing rate

Old 10-16-05, 05:12 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot water boiler firing rate

I think my installer is feeding me a line.

Salesman sized a new Burnham boiler to fire at the minimum firing rate. He sold me a Burnham V84M to be configured as a v84WM with a firing rate of 1.05 instead of the 1.35 gph. The installer claims he has never seen a nozzle for 1.05 even though the manual lists one as 0.85 x 60A. I don't know what these numbers mean and I think the installer is taking advantage of that to avoid swapping out the nozzle.

Secondly, the front of the manual says a V84M requires a 7-inch round flue, while the V84WM requires a 6-inch flue. I just had my chimney relined with a 6-inch flue.

So, should I insist that the installer switch the nozzle now. And 2, am I causing any problems or forcing my boiler to operate improperly because of the flue size by following his suggestion to wait until next year to install the other nozzle, which he claims doesn't exist anyway?

Any other recommendations appreciated.

Old 10-17-05, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Nozzle

All oil burner nozzles are rated at 100 psig of pump pressure. As pressure is increased, flow does too but not at a 1:1 rate. A nozzle rated at .85 gallon/hr will flow .85gph at 100#. If the pressure is increased to 150#, that same nozzle will flow aprox. 1.05 gph. Most boilers today come with the pump set at about 140 psig. If the pump is set at anything other than 100#, there should be a label on the side of the burner, near the nozzle tube, stating the pump pressure. The 60A part designates a 60 spray angle & a hollow spray pattern.
It seems to me, your installer is exactly that. An installer. Not a technician. Call the company & tell them to send a technician to do the start up on your boiler. Don't let this guy start it. Instruction manual? Oh, that's just to kneel on to help save my knees.

Sorry for the rant. Just my own opinion.

Old 10-17-05, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Firing rate

The nozzle specified for your boiler is a Delavan .85 - 60A & is to be fired at 140 psig pump pressure. This is directly from the installation manual.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: