Boiler questions

Old 10-19-05, 11:26 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler questions

Hi. I know nothing about boilers. I bought my house in the summer and I recently tried to turn my upstairs (2 zone) thermostat on. Nothing is happening upstairs. No heat. I'm really not a handy guy, so please be gentle with the jargon. If you mention bleeding, I'll likely look on my body for a gash. Before I do anything drastic and start taking things apart, are there some simple things to check first? Heat on the first floor works fine. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-19-05, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I moved your post so you would get an answer from one of our boiler experts. Good luck.

Old 10-19-05, 01:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No heat upstairs

On the boiler should be a gauge which reads temperature & pressure. Please let me know what the pressure is reading. It should be about 15 psi.
Upstairs do you have baseboard, cast iron radiators, convectors (look like a radiator except have a metal cabinet around them), or does the heat blow out of vents?

Old 10-21-05, 10:30 AM
mickslam
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I would like some step by step instructions as well. I know I have to make sure the overflow tank is at the right level, but beyond that, I am totally lost.

A step by step would be fantastic!

Old 10-21-05, 12:12 PM
C
Thanks Grady. The psi looks to be at 11 and I have baseboard throughout the house. Thanks.

Old 10-21-05, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

. Nothing is happening upstairs. No heat. I'm really not a handy guy,
Can you tell if the pump for that zone runs or not???

On the upstairs do you have any little valves on any of the baseboard that look like you can open them and let any air out.??????

The psi looks to be at 11 and I have baseboard throughout the house. Thanks.
. Most of the time the boiler will be about 15 psi .For the 2 floors around 18 psi to get water up there.
Some times its a lot better if you call a tech in and be there when he comes. So you can go over everything with him. From there on out you know how and what to look for

ED

Old 10-22-05, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Tech

Ed's right. I know it will cost to have a tech come in but you can learn more in an hour in person than we can teach you in a week. Most guys don't mind questions because if you have a problem in the future, you can better expain it to the tech, thus making his job easier.

Old 10-24-05, 09:27 AM
C
Will do. Thank you both for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: