Just another Boiler question

Old 10-21-05, 02:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just another Boiler question

Hi Guys,
I have owned an older house (probably 1950's or 1960's) for about 20 years now. I think that the boiler (Crane) is the original one installed in the house. The 2 levels of the house come with baseboard radiators and the basement is unheated.

While doing some research recently on baseboard radiator replacements, I was told that a boiler this old was way too inefficient to keep. In addition, I was advised to change over to a closed system with a heat exchanger (?) to isolate the heating system from the potable water supply.

I would appreciate some input from someone who has no ulterior motive such as trying to get me to buy something I may not need.

Specifically, how much could I benefit from a more modern and energy efficient boiler? And, why the necessity of isolating my potable water supply from my boiler and what benefit is there in doing this?

Also, if someone could direct me to an 'easy to understand', layman's book or article explaining this in detail, it would help a whole lot.

Thanks,

Mo

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-05, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Mo

Modern oil fired boilers can run up to 87% efficient (AFUE). Gas can be higher still. Your equipment is probably 70-75% efficient at best. Most equipment of that era was grossly oversized, sometimes 100% or more oversized. Proper sizing alone can save you a bundle. Separating the domestic from the boiler via an indirectly heated water heater does not require the boiler to stay hot all of the time. Maybe for some easy to understand Q & A's the guys at http://www.heatinghelp.com would be worth a try. I know there are books for sale there. If any would be any help, I don't know.

Old 10-21-05, 07:40 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
absolutely

they have the books that are easy to understand (layman terms) and not driven by any special interest group or manufacturer. Holohan tours the country teaching.