Process to Recharge Boiler

Old 10-22-05, 08:29 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Process to Recharge Boiler

I have a 40 yr old American Standard Boiler with a metalic expansion tank (no bladder) located in the rafters.

1. What is the correct step(s) to take to re-introduce the water back into the expansion tank and boiler? (Currently, I have all valves off. There is a manual shutoff valve in front of the reducer valve to stop the supply of water to the system. After the reduce valve the copper pipe run into a bigger pipe that goes into the boiler and the other end goes up into another manual valve located beneath the expansion tank - kind of a "T").

2. The valve that is located beneath the expansion tank that is bascially getting water from the boiler and reducer valve (I guess) is connected to another manual valve - looks like this valve would actually let water out of the tank. Located beneath the two valves is a bleeder valve (Basically, this all seems to be one unit). Should the manual valve that gets it water supply from the boiler and reducer valve be open when I turn the water back on or should I let the boiler fill first?

3. Should the little bleeder valve located beneath the expansion tank be open while letting the water back in or closed?

4. Once the boiler pressure builds back up to 12 - 15 psi, is it best to bleed the baseboards at that time or is it best to actually fire the boiler up and then bleed the baseboards?

5. Once the pressure gauage located on the front of the boiler does indicate the correct pressure, does that mean that the epansion tank and boiler both are pressurized correctly?

As a side note, when I say that I drain the entire system - it is completely drained. I drained the return line at the boiler, I drained the expansion tank and I drained the boiler.

I appreciate any information.

Old 10-22-05, 03:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Refilling system

Open all valves except the bleeder. Once up to pressure, bleed the baseboard. Fire it up. You may have to bleed the bsbd again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: