Baseboard vs. Radiator

Old 10-22-05, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard vs. Radiator

I have a new extension that is 14x24 with a cathedral ceiling (slopes up to 16 feet along the 24 foot direction)

I am wondering if baseboard or cast iron radators would be better. I already have 2 cast iron radiators I can use. A 42 inch and a 36 inch. But, the basebaord isnt that expensive so if its better, Ill use that and hold on to my radiators. The amount of work isnt an issue, and as far as looks, well I like the look of radiators more but again, I want to go with what is better.

Here are my concerns... The 2 radiators will be against exterior walls. They are about 5 inches deep and I would recess them a couple of inches. Behind them I would put solid foam insulation. Id get it 1/2 inch thick and use 2,3 or 4, sheets. Imnot sure what R-value that gives me (Id have to check) but do I lose alot because of that? The Baseboard goes completely inside so Id have R13 in the walls still.

Does anyone know which is better? I dont want to drive my heating bills up even higher. And, Id like a comfortable room.

If it helps, I will have a ceiling fan centered in teh room for air flow and to hopefully help pushthe hot air down. I also have a set of 4 windows spanning 11 feet with a 6 foot half round on top on the one 24 foot wall (the other 24 foot wall will have a 17 foot opening to my living room) . On one 14 foot wall aI have a regular double hung. On teh other 14 foot wall I have a door to teh outside. There is a full basement below.

I have a hot water system and this room will be on its own zone.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by rkoudelka; 10-22-05 at 06:30 PM. Reason: forgot to mention type of heat.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-05, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Bsbd or Rads

Several things come into play here. (1) Do you know how much heat (BTU's/hour) you need for that room? (2) Do you know the heating capacity of the radiators at your boiler's operating temperature?
You need to know the heat loss before installing any kind of heating system. After determining that, you need to know if the radiators will heat the room. After you know these things you can decide if you want to do rads or bsbd. Generally I prefer radiators if they will do the job. I do not suggest recessing them in the wall.

Old 10-23-05, 07:52 AM
Why do you prefer radiators - just curious to know why - do they heat better?

Also, these are the type to be recessed. Would you not recess them?

Old 10-23-05, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bsbd vs rads

Radiators heat mostly by radiation where bsbd heats by convection. Particularly with high ceilings, the occupants of the room are usually more comfortable with radiated heat. The advantage to baseboard is because of it's length, you don't tend to have the more localized heating. The absolute most comfortable heat is floor radiation but this is probably not an option. You might want to look into cast iron baseboard. It gives you the radiated heat & spreads it over a wider (longer) area than stand up style radiators. The reason I would not recess the rads is they radiate 360. The ideal place for a radiator is in the center of the room. (Think about the old pot belly stoves.) But if they are designed to be recessed, I guess it would be ok.

Old 10-23-05, 08:06 PM
Yes - these particular ones are designed to be recessed. So, my question is really what is better radiator or baseboard AND how much do I lose in efficienccy if I recess these.

Any ideas on the second part?

Old 10-23-05, 08:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
bsbd or rad

Which is better? That is a debate which could go on forever. Most professionals would agree that people prefer the comfort of radiators but use baseboard for astectics, thus, cast iron baseboard. All of this presumes proper sizing & installation. I can't answer your question on effeciency but I would bet these guys can. http://www.heatinghelp.com. Once there, go to "The Wall" & post your question there. These guys live & breathe radiators.

Old 10-23-05, 08:44 PM
Thats great, thanks for the link. Im going there now.

Its funny, though, I think radiators look so much better than baseboard. Baseboard looks, to me, a bit cheaper. Especially after modlings...

I use a three piece base molding: a 1x4, a 1/4 round at the bottom, and then a routed 1 inch cap. I run my 1x4 and quarter round up to the radiator, and then run my cap up the sides and over the radiator, framing it in.

With baseboard I lose all my base moldings and I love the way they look framed out.

Although, I would use baseboard if I hadnt gotten my radiators for nothing.

Old 10-24-05, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Eye of the Beholder

I agree. I like the looks of radiators but most people, especially ladies, don't & rads do take up space. Let me know what you learn on the wall.

Old 10-25-05, 09:42 AM
phatmax
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by rkoudelka
Why do you prefer radiators - just curious to know why - do they heat better?

Also, these are the type to be recessed. Would you not recess them?

i just had radiators put in which are totally recessed into the wall. The kind i got were called Sunrad. Is that what you have?

Old 10-25-05, 08:56 PM
Im not sure...

Mine are a bit older. I got a few for nothing as guys remodel and take them out. The first one I installed, about 2 years ago, works great. So, when I had then chance to take these next two I jumped at it.

In my research, Ive seen the sunrads, and mine look different. Actually, I like the way mine look even better. They arent the decorative kind, but still nice. In all my searching I cant find any recessed types EXCEPT sunrad though, so I dont kow what kind mine are.

There may be a name on them but right now they are buried in the garage. If I use them, theyll have to come out soon, so Ill let you know.

When you had yours put in were they:
- recessed into an outside wall or inside wall?
- Insulation behind them?
- How thick are they, and how much are they recessed?
- Where/what climate do you live in?
- Did/do you have any concerns over heat loss/inefficiency due to recessing?

Old 10-26-05, 08:28 AM
phatmax
Visiting Guest
Mine are a bit older. I got a few for nothing as guys remodel and take them out. The first one I installed, about 2 years ago, works great. So, when I had then chance to take these next two I jumped at it.

In my research, Ive seen the sunrads, and mine look different. Actually, I like the way mine look even better. They arent the decorative kind, but still nice. In all my searching I cant find any recessed types EXCEPT sunrad though, so I dont kow what kind mine are.

There may be a name on them but right now they are buried in the garage. If I use them, theyll have to come out soon, so Ill let you know.

When you had yours put in were they:
- recessed into an outside wall or inside wall?
- Insulation behind them?
- How thick are they, and how much are they recessed?
- Where/what climate do you live in?
- Did/do you have any concerns over heat loss/inefficiency due to recessing?
-Tts recessed into inside wall.
-No insulation bedine it as it is cased in. I use to have convector heat in the opening which i had taken out and put radiators in. I do plan on putting some sort of refloctor board behind them to it can reflect the heat out.
-they are about 5" thick and all of it is recessed.
-I am in NY.
-I am concened about heat loss, thats why i want to put reflective board bedhind them to get as much heat out in room as i can. I am happy though cuz it heats the house much better then the convectors i use to have.

If anyone has comment on my post, please let me know if i can make this work any better. BTW i have hot water system.

-

Old 10-26-05, 10:53 AM
I think you said its recessed into an inside wall. Is that right? If so. why are you concerned about insulation behind it?

Old 10-27-05, 07:40 AM
phatmax
Visiting Guest
I think you said its recessed into an inside wall. Is that right? If so. why are you concerned about insulation behind it?

Sorry meant to say outside wall.

Old 10-27-05, 10:42 AM
Interesting. Im looking to do the same thing. But, if I use my radiators, I will only recess 2.5 to 3 inches. This way I can have 1.5 or 2 inches of insulation. I think its called "Tuff R" and its R3.3 for 1/2 inch. So if you use 4 boards, its 2 iches and gives just over R13.

That seems fine to me considering that the rest of my walls have R13 of fiberglass insulation. The only thing Imnot sure of is do I lose alot by the fact that the heater is right up to the isulation .

Did you speak to anyone about this? Have you gotten any other opinions, advice, input? Im curious to know.