Replaced PRV Think Need Reducer and Expansion Tank??

Old 10-22-05, 06:33 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replaced PRV Think Need Reducer and Expansion Tank??

Hi all,

Last night I fired up the 1981 Repco Boiler Model LA100C and found the PRV kept leaking water. I shut off the main in water line and turned everything off. I had pics from last year of the unit with running temps and psi ( PSI was 28 and running temp was 130F ). After speaking to a few people they mentioned the PRV can get clogged with sediment and to replace it. So I replaced the PRV and the Hot Water Air Vent as well. Both were a mess. Well I thought I would be all done and I refilled the boiled. The PRV kept release water after I had bled it out. I looked at the PSI gauge on the front and it was always over 30 so the PRV is doing its job. So some more research I find that the Pressure Reducer (Taco Model 329.1 Set 12 Ranger 10 to 25) and expansion tank (Amtrol Extrol Model 30 12 PSI Tank) might the culprits. I wasn’t sure how to check the Taco reducer but removed the cap to the air valve on the expansion tank and found it to be leaking air and when checked with an air gauge it was 1 or 2 pounds. This leads me to believe the expansion tank is bad. (Not sure on the age of tank but I have been in the house for 10 years and boiler is 1981 vintage).

Ok my questions are:
Are both of these items pretty much simple remove and replace with same parts? It seems so from what I read but I wanted to make sure.

Also does any have any links or info on how to clean the gas elements. I can remove the front cover guard air vent but didn't want to jump in and mess with the gas elements.

Thanks.....

Old 10-22-05, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
1981 Repco

Im somewhat surprised that thing is still going. The parts you spoke of are fairly easy to replace, especially the tank & that is where I would start. If the tank does not do the job, then replace the reducing valve.

Old 10-22-05, 06:59 PM
D
Thanks Grady... Hum you brought up something else I was wondering the life span of this Repco Furnace. Here is all info off the label for it:

Model: LA100C
Serial Number: 183-24104-2
Input BTU/HR: 100.00
Heating Capacity: 79.00
Net Rating: 68.70

I know the water pump on it was replaced before I bought the house in 1996. But the furnace is orignal 1981. I was told if it is cast iron it could last 30 years or more (cross fingers). These fixes so far a relatively inexpensive to do. ($30 so far for PRV and Air Vent) the expansion tank is about $45 not sure on the reducer. Doing the work myself so my time. But I hate to put the work into it and spend money on something that is really on its last legs.

Oh thanks for the quick reply just found this site and it is great.

Old 10-22-05, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Repco

Don't know that I've ever seen a cast iron Repco. All I have ever worked on were steel. Normal life expectancy on a steel boiler is about 25 years. As far as cleaning the burners, I suggest you get a tech to do that as well as cleaning the boiler itself. Also get him/her to perform a combustion analysis. This will tell how efficiently the boiler is burning as well as giving everyone involved a chance to head off a potenial CO problem.

Old 10-25-05, 11:03 AM
D
After all the help I thought I would follow up and let you know how it worked out. To recap I replaced the PRV and Air Vent first and the PRV kept releasing water at 30 psi as it should. So I checked the Amtrol Extrol Model 30 expansion tank and there was no pressure at all so I bought a new expansion tank and figured while I am at it just replace the reducer valve as well. So after all is said and done it all works fine now. I am running around 22psi now instead of 28-29 from last year and about 160 F temp.

The one thing I did notice is the pilot light is what I would call huge! It is about 1 inch wide and about 2 inches long; all blue flame. I didn't know this thing was running all the time! It is like leaving the simmer burner on my stove running all the time. If I would have known this I would have made sure to turn it off completely when not needed. I thought by turning off all the switches I was also turning this off Doh.

I was told there should be an adjustment for the pilot to reduce it a bit but if it was reduced it wouldn't hit the sensor. Anyhow are there any good sites to look at newer boilers and efficiency ratings or any recommendations. I am not sure how much you would save with a new boiler compared to this 1981 Repco model? I can see electronic pilot would help and someone told me about automatic dampers inside the flu that close when the burner is not on so you prevent cool air from going up the flu cooling everything.

Thanks again for the help and I have passed this site on to everyone I think could use it.

Old 10-25-05, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Davidmp

That big pilot is not all bad. In fact, it may have contributed to your boiler lasting like it has. That heat in the summer dramaticly reduces condensation & condensation causes rust.
As far as boilers: There are lots of manufacturers out there. For efficiency ratings you could check the gov't web site for either EPA or Dept. of Energy, not sure which.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: