Steam radiator pipes Hammering

Old 10-24-05, 10:36 AM
flaconnoir
Visiting Guest
Steam radiator pipes Hammering

I just replaced my old ancient boiler with a new Peerless 4-chamber boiler, with a Becket burner. The problem is when boiler kicks on, there is a tremendous banging (that sounds like a someone hammering the pipes and the steam radiators!) that is very loud and annoying. After the boiler cycles a few times, the noise level lessens, but when it comes on after being cold, it is intolerable.The radiators are all pitched correctly, and all of the valves have been replaced. Everything I have read says this is being caused by trapped water. I bled one of the guilty radiators upstairs and took about 1/2 gallon of water out of it! But this never happened prior to replacing the boiler. Please let me know any and all potential steps I can take to rectify this problem. It would be nice to get a good night's sleep for a change. I don't have a lot of technical knowledge, by the way, so please make the advice as dummy-proof as you can. Thanks so much in advance!
--Flac

Old 10-24-05, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hammering pipes

The guys at http://www.heatinghelp.com know way more about steam than I. When you go there you will see a menu on the left side. You may have a condensate return problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: