Missing radiators on baseboard unit.

Old 10-25-05, 11:37 AM
bsachin
Visiting Guest
Missing radiators on baseboard unit.

In one of my rooms, the baseboard radiator unit has just the copper pipe and there isn't any heat radiators on it. There are radiators on other 2 units in the same room.

Could it be this way for a reason ? Can I add some radiators on this pipe ? OR do I need to replace whole unit ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-25-05, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Missing fins

This is often done intentionally, particularly on an inside wall. If the room heats properly don't worry about it.

Old 10-26-05, 08:34 AM
phatmax
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Grady
This is often done intentionally, particularly on an inside wall. If the room heats properly don't worry about it.
I have the same thing, fins missing on part of baseboard and it came that way when i bought the house. i can use lil more heat in this room. Is there any way i can add fins to it?

Old 10-26-05, 08:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Phatmax

There is no way of which I am aware to add fins to existing baseboard. You would have to replace the element.

Old 10-27-05, 02:48 PM
bsachin
Visiting Guest
Replace Finless Baseboard

Would it save energy if I replace the Finless baseboard and put the one with Fins? With this kind of Oil prices, I don't mind investing some money if it's going to reduce my heating bills.

Also can I replace it myself ? any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-27-05, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
bsachin

If the room is heating sufficiently, leave it alone. The extra fins would cause more heat to be put into that room, causing possible overheating.

Old 10-31-05, 09:08 AM
bsachin
Visiting Guest
Room has it's own thermostat

This room has it's own thermostat so there should not be overheating. This is a big family room with open kitchen. We are in this room 90% of the time when we are not sleeping. Also there are sliding doors to isolate this room and kitchen from other part of the house.

Do you think putting Fins on this finless baseboard will save energy ?

Do you think there will be overheating on the side of the room with all the baseboards ?

Thank Grady for all your help.

Old 10-31-05, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Baseboard fins

It will not save you any money. In fact, it will probably cost in terms of both money & comfort.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: