de coke advice on back boiler

Old 10-25-05, 11:29 AM
den9112
Visiting Guest
de coke advice on back boiler

hi, could someone please give me some advice . i have had a heating expert lokk at my central heating and he checked it over and said evrything was fine except the flames were burning down and a burning smell caused by being coked up . i must admit i could smell burning and i also could see the flames not has good has they should be , i will now get to my question , he told me it wanted cleaning and a de coke and gave me a quote of 180.00 plus vat is this a reasonable price for the job . he said it would take a couple of hours . any help would be apreciated . thanks in advance . dennis

Old 10-25-05, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
den9112

Sorry, you are out of my league on this one.

Old 10-25-05, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
dennis,

I'm afraid that most of the people who participate in this forum are on the other side of the ocean.
No one here would likely be able to offer an opinion on any pricing.

As far as a furnace "coking up" you are likely rerferring to what we call carboning up.
I would suggest that a job that is only a couple of hours would be best awarded based on trust.
You could get other estimates but if you have to pay a service call for someone else to look at it you might as well just have him do it.

Old 10-31-05, 03:27 AM
gasmandan
Visiting Guest
Hi mate,

That quote is way too expensive. The boiler needs a service, but with a little extra elbow grease.

Its not a nice job when they are in this state thats probably why you got that quote.

Average price for a service on a back boiler is around 70-80, and i suppose in that condition up to 100 would not seem silly, 180 however is silly.

From experience when back boilers are sooted, there are usually huge yellow floppy flames, indicating poor combustion as the air ports are blocked with soot. Especially on the Baxi Bermuda model. If this is the case I advise you to turn the thing off and dont use it till this work is done. You could be in danger of co poisoning.

Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: