Resonance/Rumble when Circ Pump runs

Old 10-25-05, 02:29 PM
jbishop2112
Visiting Guest
Resonance/Rumble when Circ Pump runs

I am hearing a low-frequency resonance/rumbling sound throughout the house when my circulator pump runs (one zone, radiators). I wouldn't describe it as radiator banging or water hammer, as it is relatively quiet. I can't really localize it to a particular location at one radiator or pipe, as it is quite low frequency. When I first moved into the house, everything was totally silent during circulation. I've checked for air at the bleeder valves on each radiator, but they seem fine. Heat output at the rads seem normal and I just had the burner cleaned and checked, so it is fine. Pressure and temperature at the boiler don't seem to have changed in any way.

I'm guessing it is some minor air blockage somewhere in the system but not sure of other ways to try bleeding it. Any thoughts appreciated!

Old 10-25-05, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Noise

If you have a B&G or Armstrong circulator with the motor separated from the impeller section (bearing assembly), my suspicion is there lies the source of your noise. Just a hunch. The problem with noises is locating the culprit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: