Hot Water Radiant Heat - Valve Problem

Old 10-27-05, 03:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Radiant Heat - Valve Problem

Hi,

I have a hot water system with in floor radiant heat. The water is pumped through a manifold with about 8 zones. Each zone has its own manual stop **** valve to control flow to the different areas.

One of the valves seems to have stopped working (I shut it once and I don't think it reopened). So I need to open the valve to replace the seat and stopper but how do I do it without getting water all over the place? There are no other valves close to shut the water flow off.

Should I just open it and let the water drain out? Will the pump fill up the zone again when I replace the valve?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 04:24 PM
J
Grady you are very well informed - thanks for the help on the last post I had! Any thoughts on this when you get the chance would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-27-05, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Jetta

Some pics of your system would help. If you can host them on Yahoo or elsewhere & provide a link, that would be great.

Old 10-29-05, 09:38 AM
J
hello -

I have posted a few pics on my web site.

http://geocities.com/epasenello/

The valve that does not seem to be letting water through is shown in the close up. I was wondering if you think they even make a replacement seat for this valve? Thanks for any advise. I should probably just think about getting a new system. I have seriously gotten to know this one all too well...

Old 10-29-05, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Valve seat

I'm sure a seat is available. Why anyone would even think about using stop & waste valves is beyond me.

Old 10-31-05, 08:19 AM
J
Yeah, right. Well, everyone that has seen it has been pretty amazed at why they would do something like they did so long ago - 60+ years. Better yet the heat is in the ceilings so downstairs is always freezing and upstairs is hotter than anything. But, I will try and open it sometime soon, luckily it is a very small zone so it is not affecting much of the house. Thanks.

Old 11-05-05, 06:22 AM
Grady is right on the mark. Those stop valves create about as much restriction as 100 feet of pipe. You should consider draining the system once and replacing all of those valves with full-port ball valves. You may solve problems that have existed since the systems installation. Your problem now may be air in the loop. At the time you replace the valves, you should consider installing the circulator on the supply pipe instead of the return. My suggestion would be to NOT repair the bad valve but to replace it and all others of that type.

Ken