direct power vent smell

Old 10-30-05, 02:37 PM
misterb19
Visiting Guest
direct power vent smell

I have a strong oil smell in my basement. Sometimes I can smell it from the top of the stairs. If I open the window, the smell goes away. When our house was built, the contractor installed a direct power vent rather than a chimney. I have been told by my service men that the smell is because of the amount of air that is being sucked in when the burner turns on produces an exhaust on the boiler. Should I install a vent in the basement so that more fresh air can be taken in by the system? If so what kind of vent should it be? A louvred fresh air vent? One with an electric fan that sucks out the air, or one that allows fresh air in?

Old 10-30-05, 05:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Power vent

The best way to cure the problem is with a chimney. Power venting oil fired equipment should be outlawed. I've never seen one without problems. Barring building a masonary or installing a metal chimney, I suggest bringing fresh air into the burner with a combustion air kit. They are available for most burners. Also add a primary control with a post purge feature such as Honeywell's R7184U.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: