boiler cycle time

Old 11-02-05, 05:50 PM
daves
Visiting Guest
boiler cycle time

Hello,

I'm wondering if my oil fired boiler (heat and domestic hot water) should cycle this frequently...even when the heat is off and there is no demand for hot water...On for 5 minutes then off for 15 minutes, then the cycle repeats. Is this due to the fact that it is an older unit (maybe 25 years old) or is there something I can do to stop it from cycling so frequently.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-05, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Frequent cycling

First, you need to make sure there is no hot water being leaked somewhere in the system.
If there is no leakage, I suspect you have a temperature sensing problem. This can be due to a bad aquastat &/or the aquastat well.

Old 11-06-05, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could watch the temperature gauge during the cycle and see if it goes up and down. Possibly you could widen the differential between the on and off but what you really want to do is make it run less when it is not being used for anything. Take a look at Becketts heat manager. www.becketthm.com It does what you are trying to do and if you use domestic water from the boiler, it will not affect that. I think the idea is good and it is not a very complex item like some older units were. You should be sure that hot water is not being circulated or lost before you try to control the burner. Like Grady said, a water leak or strong draft through the boiler during the off-cycle could contribute to the cycling.

Ken