losing system pressure

Old 11-05-05, 06:19 AM
Scott2005
Visiting Guest
losing system pressure

This forum is a great idea!

I have an early 90's Weil-Mcclain system. Last year I had to replace the pressure relief valve, temp/pressure gage, auto-air vent, and the circulator. I then added some type of recommended water stabilizer. (due to black water situation.)

The sytem pressure is falling twice a day. I have to increase pressure (manual re-fill vale) to about 12-15psi. When it heats backup my air vent will begin let off steam, maybe because i'm losing water somewhere. But I can't find a leak anywhere. I am willing to troubleshoot and repair what needs to, but just need some direction.!!!!!???????
Thanks Scott.

Old 11-05-05, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Scott

You do have a leak somewhere. If this boiler has a grey jacket, I would almost bet you have a leaking "elastomeric seal" between the sections of the boiler.

Old 11-07-05, 03:28 AM
Scott2005
Visiting Guest
O.k.

Thank you.
Is this something I can replace myself?

Old 11-07-05, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Weil-McLain

If yours is the boiler I think it is (grey jacket) the seals are no longer availalbe. If the boiler is the newer "Gold" series (has a cream color or yellowish jacket) the part should be available. I do not suggest this repair as a DIY project since it involves separating the boiler sections. Early '90's may still be under warranty. I suggest you contact a Weil-McLain dealer to help you locate the leak. It may not be in the boiler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: