Weil McClain with loud rattle.

Old 11-05-05, 12:47 PM
inneedofhelp7
Visiting Guest
Weil McClain with loud rattle.

I have a very old Weil McClain boiler furnace that is making this extremely loud rattle noise when I turn it on. It was working fine 2 days ago, now it has the rattle.

I had it rebuilt 3 years ago. Does anyone know what the noise is, is it dangerous, and can I fix it myself? If it is a DIY project where can I find what parts it needs and instructions?

Thanks!

Old 11-05-05, 02:15 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bad flame. When was your last tune up? It should be tuned every year.New boilers and burners can go longer between tune-ups, but not yours. If your unit isn't firing properly it could soot up very fast. I think you should get someone out there asap.
Mike

Old 11-05-05, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Rattling boiler?

I have never heard a boiler rattle. Sometimes if there is air in the system, a flow check will rattle. Draft reguators (barometric dampers) in the vent pipe can also rattle. This is usually due to poor combustion. Try to locate the source of the noise & post back in the same thread.

Old 11-07-05, 11:33 PM
inneedofhelp7
Visiting Guest
Hi thanks for the replies.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the circulator pump. Is it possible that the coupler is bad?

Or does this boiler have a vibration damper on it? I read online that this could also be causing it.

Are either of these a DIY project, and if so where do I buy the parts? If this is a overly expensive or too hard to do I will call a professional, but if there is a quick/cheaper solution I would rather try to do it myself.

Thanks again!

Old 11-08-05, 04:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Rattle

Noises are tough to trace. The problem could be the circulator. Circulators are not that hard to replace. What kind of circulator is it? If it is a Bell & Gossett (B & G) with the springs which are in an "X" configuration, I suggest you replace that type of coupling with a Spiralink coiled spring type. The only tools you would need would be a 7/16" wrench & a 1/8" (maybe 5/32") allen wrench.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: