Hot water NOT VERY HOT!

Old 11-06-05, 01:53 AM
Nelly
Visiting Guest
Hot water NOT VERY HOT!

Hi All, Newbie here,

Been reading the other threads to try and diagnose my problem but thought I would post just to gauge opinion.

Our gas fires boiler only seems to fire for 5 mins and then off for 10 when the hot water system is on. The radiators are fine.

This was ok before a holiday just been away on for 2 weeks.

Will the fact we have been away for 2 weeks with the system off have any effect?
Could this be a thermostat problem on the tank? I have turned up the ones on the boiler and the tank.
A mate has suggested it is the heat exchanger. How would I detect this?

Any other suggestions?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Nelly.

Old 11-06-05, 12:01 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the rads heat up ok i would say the heat exchanger is ok. where your cylinder is there is normaly 2 pipes that come from the boiler to heat the cylinder on one of these pipes there should be a piece of copper pipe approx 6 to 12 inches long with a bleed valve on the end try bleeding this . If no air or water comes out check the header tank to make sure there is water in it.If there is water in the tank but no air or water can be bled you could have a blockage in the pipework from the tank where it joins the system.

Old 11-07-05, 04:23 AM
Nelly
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by andyb
If the rads heat up ok i would say the heat exchanger is ok. where your cylinder is there is normaly 2 pipes that come from the boiler to heat the cylinder on one of these pipes there should be a piece of copper pipe approx 6 to 12 inches long with a bleed valve on the end try bleeding this . If no air or water comes out check the header tank to make sure there is water in it.If there is water in the tank but no air or water can be bled you could have a blockage in the pipework from the tank where it joins the system.
Cheers, will try bleeding. Overnight it seemed to work as the water was very hot this morning - can't understand it but happy we have hot water now and not luke warm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: