radiant heat

Old 11-08-05, 02:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
radiant heat

I have a new room that I want to put radiant heat in the floor. I do not have enough square foot of floor to get enough BTU's to heat the room. I was thinking of putting heat in the ceiling also. Has anyone had any experience with radiant hot water heat in the ceiling? The company that I was going to deal with to buy the PEX tubing said that ceiling heat was experimental and they would not design it nor stand behind it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-08-05, 05:45 PM
It is not experimental and it does work. It actually suffers from less obstacles than floor radiant. Furniture and carpet rarely block ceiling radiant heat. The one drawback is that you need R-19 above the ceiling that gets heated and it isn't usually easy to get at that area to insulate in an existing structure. Look at the radiant panel association web site for more info. I think they have it there for all to peruse. www.radiantpanelassociation.org

Ken

Old 11-08-05, 06:40 PM
J
That site had an error and would not open. Do they do hot water or was it electric?

Old 11-08-05, 06:47 PM
You can use whatever source you want. I am a wethead so I prefer water, typically heated with an oil fire.

Ken

Old 11-09-05, 05:40 PM
J
Hot water is what I will be using, do you have any idea as to how many BTU's a ceiling will give off. I would guess that it has to do with how many feet of tubing and how close the tubes are. I would think that it would be so many BTU's per square foot. Would you be able to give me some idea?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: