Opinions requested--Wood boiler (dutch oven) and gas water heater

Old 11-08-05, 10:00 PM
Lazorus
Visiting Guest
Smile Opinions requested--Wood boiler (dutch oven) and gas water heater

Hi All. I have read through quite a few posts, most of which had very informative answers to them. I couldn't find one which answered my questions, which I ask for opinions on. I know there are many different ways of tackling installations, however I am looking for simplicity and ease of use.

Last summer, I built a 33X40 garage/addition onto our 2 story home, and installed under-floor heating in the concrete floor. I installed a 220,000 btu wood-fired boiler (or dutch oven) in the single floor addition, which provides it heat. If we are away and unable to tend the fire, I have set it up so that the water leaving the boiler is pumped through the natural gas water heater, thus ensuring heat. This is about as basic a circuit as you can make. Needless to say I have an "overabundance" of heat, and would like to put more of it to use. I would like to put some kind of a hot water heat exchanger in my furnace. Here are my questions:

1. I have a Lennox Pulse furnace, model G21Q. Were water coils an option with this furnace, or would they fit inside. If they weren't, is it possible to put a heat exchanger after the furnace?

2. Once the heat exchanger is in place, how would I go about controlling the temperature to it? Zone valves aren't very highly rated from what I can read on this site. Is it possible to have the blower fan blowing while the furnace isn't putting out heat, and to do it with only one wall mounted thermostat?

Old 11-09-05, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Hydro-Air

If you do not have A/C you could put the hot water coil in the supply plenum. If A/C is installed, you may have to use duct mounted coil(s). Full port zone valves will work. In general, I don't like zone valves but the best of the bunch for this application are Honeywell's V8043E-1061 (3/4") or V8043E-1079 (1"). You might be able to use one heat pump thermostat for your application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: