2 Problems, same issue?

Old 11-11-05, 06:54 PM
Weekend_Warrior
Visiting Guest
2 Problems, same issue?

I have a split-level house (6 steps difference) with hot water heat. Copper/ fins not cast iron rads.

Problems: there is an average of 5-8 degrees difference between levels (measured in the central hallway- some rooms upstairs are much warmer than others). Is this normal?

And over the last couple of days the pipes have started making this annoying squealing/whistling/gurgling sound- loud enough to wake me up at night (which is the real problem)

I assume this is due to the fact that a week or so ago I bled some water out of the lines trying to solve another issue (hadn't needed the heat since then, so noise was not evident till now).

With that said. My system has what looks to be a galvanized tank mounted above the furnace (at the floor joists). This tank has a valve at one end that looks to be to attach a hose to. I was told this was to add water to the system.

Is this correct??

Old 11-13-05, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Galvanized tank

The hose bib on the tank is not for adding water to the system but for draining the tank. There should be some sort of water feeder, automatic or manual, on the system somewhere near the boiler. Your noises are most likely due to air in the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: