Taco zone valve wiring

Old 11-16-05, 11:21 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taco zone valve wiring

First post, new to the forums.
Im trying to add two Taco 571 zone valves to my baseboard hot water system. My set up is this: a Slant/fin Sentry 105K BTU gas fired furnace with electronic ignition and a Taco circulating pump suppling both my basement and first (and only) floor. The only thermostat is upstairs. I have the two Taco 571 zone valves and another thermostat ready for install. One question I have is, where should I place the zone valves. ie. on the supply to or the return from the zone in question. Also do I need an external 24V transformer or can I take a 24V feed from my boiler? Last but certainly not least is a wiring diagram. I need to figure out the wiring scheme to get everything up and running before it gets too cold. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-17-05, 07:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Zone valves

I suggest putting them on the side opposite the circulator. If the circ is on the supply put the valves on the return. If it is on the return, put them on the supply.
Depending on the aquastat you have, you may or may not need a second transformer. In most cases, yes.
There should be wiring diagrams on or in the zone valve box but if not, you can go to: http://www.taco-hvac.com for them.

Old 11-17-05, 08:26 PM
O
Thanks

Ill let you know how it all turns out. Thanks Grady

Old 11-17-05, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're Welcome

Please do let me know how things go.

Old 11-28-05, 03:24 AM
O
Grady,
All went well. I now have to seperate zones that work flawlessly. Just to let you know I did go with an external transformer and it was actually quite simple to hook up. All told I saved over $400 by doing it myself and it took about 3 hours of my time. Thanks to you Grady and the forums for the help.

Old 11-28-05, 05:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cool Congrats

Glad to hear all went well & in only 3 hours.
Want a job? LOL

Old 12-04-05, 10:43 PM
O
Just a question

I noticed that after my zone valves close the circulating pump contnues to run for a while. Is this bad for the pump due to the fact that it is trying to pump hot water with no where to go? Before I added the zones I had an open loop so water would continue to circulate throught the system until the pump shut off. Any comments appreciated.

Old 12-05-05, 09:01 AM
RSimplicio
Visiting Guest
The zone valves you added are "heat motor" zone valves, and the end switch which closes the circuit to the circulator is dependent on the position of the valve. From what I have seen with my valves, which are also heat motor, though not Taco, is that the end switch is "closed", meaning the circulator is running, during almost all of the valve's travel. So it's not until it gets pretty close to fully closed that the circulator would shut off.

This may take several minutes from the time the thermostat is satisfied until the valve fully closes. Is this what you are seeing? Or has it been 10 minutes since the valve closed and the circulator is still running?

Old 12-05-05, 03:10 PM
O
More like the ten minutes. Also the inital post is misleading. I was initaly going to use Taco valves but I used Honeywells instead.

Last edited by ouderkirkj; 12-05-05 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Honeywell zone valves

What you are experiencing is very unusual for Honeywell valves. Normally the circulator will shut off before the vavle fully closes. I suggest you check your wiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: