Radiator not working.

Old 11-17-05, 09:12 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Radiator not working.

We have a boiler and one of the radiators does not get hot. The first year we moved in it didn't work and the next winter it did. Now after about three years of working it has stopped again. The guy at the heating place said it probably needs torn down and replaced. He said that it is possible that they could drain it and tear it apart and possibly find that it was just plugged. He really thinks it needs replaced. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Old 11-17-05, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Radiator not working

Is this steam or hot water?

Old 11-18-05, 06:51 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot water. I was told to drain the radiator until the water ran hot then see if it will keep the heat. If not then it isn't getting out of the radiator. And if I completely drain it and get no more water out of it than there is a blockage keeping the water from going in it. Does that sound right. The heating place said they would work on it for time and material, but if I can determine where the problem might be it could save me some money! Also when draining the radiator I was told that the boiler will know to replace the water that I have taken out so that it doesn't hurt anything, is that correct?

Old 11-18-05, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Cold radiator

If this radiator has a bleeder valve on it, open the bleeder & allow water to run into a container. If the flow stops, either you are not feeding water into the system or it cannot get into the radiator. I don't advocate the draining of a radiator unless I intend to remove it for some reason.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: