very little heat

Old 11-17-05, 11:37 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down very little heat

Hi,just a quick note,70 year old boiler ,gas converted,old steel type expansion tank,convectors.Pressure is usually about 9 to 18 when running.One zone,pretty basic system,domestic hot water is seperate.

For some reason,I am struggling to get any heat going(everywhere in the house),so far 2 hours to go from 60 deg and I am not at 70 yet.My pump is running,(though feels pretty hot,and has been oiled),which kicks in at 100 degrees on the aquastat.Main thermometer never has worked.

I have some bare pipes where usually I cannot touch due to the heat of the water,now they are just warm.

I can see flames in the burner but I have no way of measuring how big or hot it was compared to last year.

Also I have been bleeding some air out of the farthest and upper most convectors,story and a half house.

Worked good last year after some minor bleeder repairs which did let air into the system,that I thought I had removed.Also changed to a digital thermostat last year though it worked fine.

Amy ideas? thanks John

Old 11-17-05, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Little Heat

I suspect either an air pocket somewhere or a bad circulator. How is the temperature of the pipe as it comes off the boiler, before any valves or brances?

Old 11-18-05, 08:37 AM
F
Hi,the main line leaving the boiler is warm,usually I would burn myself if I actually grabbed it.That is why I wonder if it is the burner possibly partially plugged (though i smell no gas).

If it is a air pocket somewhere,how do I go about finding that out?

Thanks

Old 11-18-05, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lack of heat

With the boiler running for 2 hours (steady?), the room temp coming up less than 10, & the boiler dicharge pipe only warm, I'm wondering if you have a major water leak & the boiler can't heat the water as fast as it flows into the system. If you have a water meter, make sure all other water uses are turned off & watch the meter. If it is registering water useage, there is a good chance you have a leak. Often leaks can be hard to find if pipes go into a slab or crawl space.

Old 11-18-05, 07:05 PM
Insufficient Heat

flyerfan:

The boiler's pumping lukewarm water; it sounds like someone turned down the setting on the aquastat to 100 degrees; it's way too low to have the circ kick in at that temp; it just pumps lukewarm water thru the convectors.

Standard settings for the aquastat is 160 degrees for the circ to kick in & 180 degrees high limit to safely shut down the burners; this will give the burners a chance to heat up the water to 160 before it is circulated to the convectors.

The defective temperature gauge should be replaced as soon as possible.

Old 11-18-05, 08:42 PM
F
thanks for the help,so far,I did check for a water leak earlier,checked both the meter,and also shut off the domestic water going in looking for a pressure fluctuation,nothing.

I had the aquastat set that way since on recommendations from here (lol),since i have no domestic hot water on this setup that is where it should be.I have bumped it up,hope that will help, thanks

any clue on how to remove an airlock?never hurts to learn thanks

Old 11-19-05, 06:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flyerfan

On the subject of bleeding air, there are tons of posts on this forum. If you look thru them I'm sure you will find something helpful. Each system is a little different so if you can't find answers & can host some pictures of your system, post a link to those pictures & I will see if I can steer you in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: