Hot water radiator system full of air

Old 11-18-05, 12:24 PM
Makoman
Visiting Guest
Hot water radiator system full of air

I recently moved into a home that had the radiators removed and painted throughout the entire house (1st and 2nd floors). First question is, with the removal of these radiators, how much of the system was potentially drained? I am assuming if they had all of the off at the same time, that all the pipes leading up to the second floor are mostly empty? My other question, is there a quick way of filling up these pipes without having the furnace on and trying to fill it by having the cold water to the system open. I'm thinking that might take forever. On the radiators there are some large caps on the side near the air release vent valves. Can i use those for anything? Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-18-05, 12:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Makoman, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Thought I would welcome you and let you know that your post will be answered. Lots of our members work in this field and are at work at this time of day. Grady will be on later and I am sure all your questions will be answered. Just check back on this post. Good luck.

Old 11-18-05, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Empty Radiators

Most if not all of the system will likely be empty. The system should fill (unless you have zone valves) regardless of the boiler being on or off.
Do not try to remove those large plugs. To do so would probably result in a broken radiator. Start at the radiator which is the highest & farthest from the boiler & open the air vent until you get water. Repeat this process, working toward the boiler until all radiators get water out of the vent. Each successive radiator will fill slightly faster. It will take time. You could remove the air vent but you take a big risk on not being able to get it back in against the force of the water & make a serious mess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: