Weil-McLain burner will not stay lit

Old 11-19-05, 10:33 AM
terlin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Weil-McLain burner will not stay lit

We have a (approximately) ten-year old heating system, hot water through a baseboard, powered by a Weil-McLain burner. We had the system serviced last month to prepare for the cold weather and it was test-fired at that time and all seemed to be well.

Now that the cold weather has arrived, the system will not remain on. I have bled the line to get air bubbles out but it only runs for about five minutes before it needs bleeding again. I have timed the repetitive cycle and it does not vary. Four and a half minutes after ignition, the sound of the motor changes slightly, and starts a mild whining. Then it cuts out and the flames diminish. I then bleed the line and have a lot of bubbles and air pockets for 17 seconds before the fuel starts again and the burner re-ignites.

I called the heating company but cannot get a technician out here for several more days and we don't know how we can last several days in very cold conditions.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I thought it might be a hole in the fuel line but I could not find one on examination.

A quick solution would be warmly welcomed. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-05, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You seem to have a leak in the oil line. I the tank in the basement or underground? Is there only one oil line leading to the burner? You may have a plugged oil line but there should not be air getting into the oil line. I see this post is a few days old and I hope you have resolved the problem by now but if not, post back and we can proceed.

Ken

Old 11-24-05, 09:09 AM
John Butcher
Visiting Guest
Weil-McLain burner won't stay on

Last year I had the same problem. The service man came for the annual check up, repolaced the oil filter, etc. The next day, the furnace went out. I went through the ritual of pushing the buttons to get it restarted but it would run for a short time and go off again. It turned out to be a problem with the little phenolic washer that is under the bolt head that holds the filter cartridge on. By luck, I noted that a small "ring" of the washer nearest the bolt had not come off and when the new washer was put on, and air was creeping into the line. I hope this helps. Take care, John Butcher

Old 11-24-05, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terlin
We have a (approximately) ten-year old heating system, hot water through a baseboard, powered by a Weil-McLain burner. We had the system serviced last month to prepare for the cold weather and it was test-fired at that time and all seemed to be well.

Now that the cold weather has arrived, the system will not remain on. I have bled the line to get air bubbles out but it only runs for about five minutes before it needs bleeding again. I have timed the repetitive cycle and it does not vary. Four and a half minutes after ignition, the sound of the motor changes slightly, and starts a mild whining. Then it cuts out and the flames diminish. I then bleed the line and have a lot of bubbles and air pockets for 17 seconds before the fuel starts again and the burner re-ignites.

I called the heating company but cannot get a technician out here for several more days and we don't know how we can last several days in very cold conditions.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I thought it might be a hole in the fuel line but I could not find one on examination.

A quick solution would be warmly welcomed. Thanks!
yuu havr an oil blockage either the cannister oil filter or the oil pump screen or the nozzle is blocked or oilline is blocked it has to be one of them