Refilling and Rebalancing

Old 11-20-05, 10:51 AM
MplsEric
Visiting Guest
Refilling and Rebalancing

I have a hot water boiler system with radiators. System minus boiler (about 8 yrs old) is 90 years old. I recently took on radiator offline and drained it to replace a valve. I'm not sure how best to refill the system, and how to know when it's "full."

There is a fill line from the domestic water--valve has always been closed. Perhaps this valve should remain open all the time--can my system self-regulate water volume?

Anyway, one upstairs radiator is not getting water/heat though air has been bled. I suspect this is the 'longest' run of the system. I don't think the system has been well balanced since I've been living here (some rooms are just colder, etc). Because the only valves downstream of the circulator are the radiator valves, I suspect I should go through a process of balancing the whole house.

How should I fill the system and should the fill valve remain open? How should I balance the system?

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-20-05, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Filling system

Increase the pressure on the boiler to 20 - 23# & re-bleed the problem radiator. Unless the system has a pressure reducing valve don't leave that manual valve open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: