French gas water radiator heating system [merged threads]

Old 11-21-05, 02:12 PM
Chilly_inFrance
Visiting Guest
French water radiator heating system

Dear Friends,

I live in France, and the heating system in my apartment and the hot water heating system are one and the same. Thus hot water runs through pipes from radiator to radiator to heat the apartment. Two of the radiators barely work, and one does not work at all. Thus they must be at least partially blocked and need to be cleaned.

I would like to clean them, and I know that there are two valves on each radiator. I wonder if I open them to clean them, if air from the outside will damage the system.

Thus my question is, where do I need to close the valve so that I may clean them? Do I need to close the valve on the main heater? Or on each radiator?

I sincerely appreciate your advice.

Thank you!

P.S. I also posted this in the water heating systems forum. Was not sure what category it went under.

Old 11-21-05, 03:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would 1st try bleeding any entrapped air out of the radiators and see if that gets them working.

Old 11-21-05, 05:08 PM
Chilly_inFrance
Visiting Guest
French gas water radiator heating system

Dear Friends,

I live in France, and the heating system in my apartment and the hot water heating system are one and the same. Thus hot water runs through pipes from radiator to radiator to heat the apartment. Two of the radiators barely work, and one does not work at all. Thus they must be at least partially blocked and need to be cleaned.

I would like to clean them, and I know that there are two valves on each radiator. I wonder if I open them to clean them, if air from the outside will damage the system.

Thus my question is, where do I need to close the valve so that I may clean them? Do I need to close the valve on the main heater? Or on each radiator?

I sincerely appreciate your advice.

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry--I've posted this in other sub-forums--and I just realised that this might be its rightful place!

Old 11-21-05, 05:15 PM
Chilly_inFrance
Visiting Guest
merci!

Thank you very much for your response. My roommate did this, but nothing happened. Also, the stubborn radiators only heat about a quarter of the radiator, if they heat at all.

Tonight we have tried upping the heat on high, hoping that the clogged areas would be dislodged by this. If this does not work, we were hoping to be able to lift it out and clean it manually, for which the question about the valves was originally asked. Is this a bad idea?

Again, I appreciate very much your help. It has been cold!

Last edited by Chilly_inFrance; 11-21-05 at 05:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: