My baseboard heat always sounds like dripping water

Old 11-22-05, 05:18 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question My baseboard heat always sounds like dripping water

I just moved into a new house (for me anyway, the house was built in '57) and Ive never had oil heat before now. Yesterday we came home and the house was freezing. I pushed the reset button, turned the heat up, turned the power off and on again and checked the fuse, the burner would run for a couple of minutes, then the pilot would light for a couple of seconds and shut itself right down, im assuming its the filter.. any other thoughts? Also, my baseboard heat always sounds like dripping water throughout the house when the heat does go on, how can I eliminate this sound or at least decrease it? Thanks!!

Old 11-22-05, 05:42 AM
John Butcher
Visiting Guest
Baseboard heat sounds like dripping water

The furnace going on and then shutting off after a couple minutes sounds like either a dirty oil filter or air getting into your intake oil line. Be certain that the filter is clean and that the cartridge containing the filter is snugged up tight. Also, there is a phenolic washer that goes on the head of the bolt which is replaced each time the filter is replaced. Sometimes not all the old washer comes off and when the new one is put on the connection, when the bolt is snugged up, still allows air to leak into the line. Good luck

Old 11-22-05, 06:48 AM
Since you never had Oil before. it would be best to get a service guy who KNOWS oil.. Have them go over the equipement, test it, and make sure it working right.. Have them go over a few things to you so you know the basic.. (Water pressure, bleading the system..)

Old 11-22-05, 10:11 AM
S
Pilot with an oil burner?

Old 11-22-05, 11:34 AM
D
Originally Posted by slls
Pilot with an oil burner?
Hey really, thanks for your help, dont waste my time.

Old 11-22-05, 07:48 PM
Danny,

Oil does not have pilot light.. it's fires by steady spark.

Did you call in a service company to go over the equipement with you?

Old 11-23-05, 04:50 AM
D
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Danny,

Oil does not have pilot light.. it's fires by steady spark.

Did you call in a service company to go over the equipement with you?
I have called a service contracter now but they couldnt come last night so we froze again, I think that the burner is not getting enough oil because when I can actually see a flame, it is an orange color and goes off and on. There is plenty of oil in the tankso I know its not that we are out and I changed the filter. I guess its either the nozzle or the pump? I dont know this is all new to me.

Old 11-23-05, 06:10 AM
Ok, if the filter has been changed.. then it's time to get the Pro in.. The pump may need to be cleand, and also nozzel..

Old 11-23-05, 08:34 AM
D
Originally Posted by Jay11J
Ok, if the filter has been changed.. then it's time to get the Pro in.. The pump may need to be cleand, and also nozzel..
Thank you for your help, I have called an HVAC and he's coming today to check it out, Hopefully last nite was the last one in the cold. Dan

Old 11-23-05, 09:12 AM
Since your flame problems have been pretty much addresses, lets move on to the sound.
Two things come to mind. One is that there is air in the pipes. This usually makes a sound like water "sloshing" around or running. Bleeding the system should cure that problem. Your Serviceman should show you how this is accomplished. Other thing is expansion and contraction of the pipes. When they get hot, they expand and when cooling off they contract. If the piping is not secured properly, the moving pipes can be rubbing against studs in the floor, wall or ceiling. This will imitate the dripping sound you hear. It is the pipes "jumping" or rubbing as they expand or contract. Good luck with your problem and the Serviceman.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: