white powder forming on the galvanized duct work

Old 11-22-05, 11:52 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
white powder forming on the galvanized duct work

Iíve posted this in the Duct system section, but also thought I would put it hear as well, as it may be caused by the furnace. In any event. Since turning on our heat this year, we have been noticing a white powder forming on the galvanized duct work exiting out of the furnace into the chimney flue. It primarily is forming at the seams of the ducting. Its quite a bit however, and it making a mess on the floor, and the furnace. Does anyone know what this is, and why it is all of a sudden forming? We have owned the home for 5 years, and this has not appeared before this heating season.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-22-05, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
White powder

From the sound of your post it is not on ducts but rather on the vent pipe. I don't think it is just now forming but coming out of the joints in the pipe. When was the last time your equipment was serviced?

Old 11-22-05, 07:05 PM
H
Originally Posted by Wlightfoot
Iíve posted this in the Duct system section, but also thought I would put it hear as well, as it may be caused by the furnace. In any event. Since turning on our heat this year, we have been noticing a white powder forming on the galvanized duct work exiting out of the furnace into the chimney flue. It primarily is forming at the seams of the ducting. Its quite a bit however, and it making a mess on the floor, and the furnace. Does anyone know what this is, and why it is all of a sudden forming? We have owned the home for 5 years, and this has not appeared before this heating season.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
may be a moisture plbm especially with hot air

Old 11-23-05, 06:31 AM
W
Gents,

Thanks for your replies. Firstly, yes, I need to make a correction, it is the vent pipe. And I do need add that a month ago, we go 4 days of rain, 5 inches or so, and part of our basement flooded. I have been sucking the water out of the air for the last few weeks with an external de-humidifier. So you say that moister may be the culprit? We do have our furnace serviced every year, but I think he came before the powder appeared.

Old 11-23-05, 02:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Moisture

Moisture is certainly a contributing factor. Once you get the basement dried out, take the pipe down & clean it. Tapping the pipe with a scredriver handle or something similar will help loosen the powder. If you want, you can get a brush & brush it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: