Boiler Temp

Old 11-23-05, 05:29 PM
tiletech
Visiting Guest
Boiler Temp

Hi,
I am using a oil fired boiler with steam radiators as heat in my home
Can someone tell me what temp should the boiler be set to create steam?
also there is a pressre guage on it that is set at zero that never changes is that correct ?
thank you for your time and help
regards
Jeff

Last edited by tiletech; 11-23-05 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 06:01 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am unfamiliar with steam boilers. It's the water boiler I am more familiar with.

But what you said regarding the gauge: I would never trust some permanent gauge on some boiler - especially if the boiler was relic. I recently worked on a water boiler and found the 30# Watts relief valve going off at 12 psi. Hmmmm. What's wrong with this picture?, I thought. So, I checked the expansion tank and found it lost it's air - so I recharged it. (if an expansion tank loses it's air, and becomes water logged, when the boiler runs, you can have 12 psi one minute and 30 psi minutes later!) So after that I reran the boiler, but alas, the relief valve still went off. I got out my own gauge and hooked to the boiler valve and found the pressure was actually about 30psi. I confirmed this to even another psi gauge I had. Not 12! So now I wrote a note on the boiler for any service person to read the boiler valve gauge I left on, rather than the faulty built in gauge.

Old 11-24-05, 04:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't set to a temperature for steam. For steam you set a pressure to start and stop the burner. A good starting point is .5psi to start and 1.5psi to stop. If there is a temperature control it would be to hold the boiler at a temperature used for making domestic hot water. If you don't use the boiler for domestic water, turn that temp control all the way down.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: