my boiler is Temperamental

Old 11-23-05, 12:40 AM
paule
Visiting Guest
my boiler is Temperamental

I have a Trianco boiler that is some years old.
At the start of winter the boiler ran fine. Then I had a delivery of oil 1000 ltrs and since then the boiler has become Temperamental. In this it some times starts and then will run for ages on other times I have to keep pressing the red override button. The motor when out of the boiler runs fine. Is this something to do with the oil pump. If there is too much oil pressure will this effect the pump. Any help will be great.
Thanks in advance Paul

Old 11-23-05, 06:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DO NOT press the red reset button more than 3 times!

Sounds like with the oil refill, it stired up the settlement in the tank. and now your filter may need to replaced..

When was the last time you had a clean/tune up on it?

Old 11-23-05, 10:46 AM
paule
Visiting Guest
Hi
Yes I can do the work. I have taken the motor out and manually turned it then when I replace the motor unit usually starts on the second push of red button. Why should you not press the red button three times? If the motor is not spinning then the oil pump is not pumping so no oil to jets is this correct or not.

Will set time aside at the week end to give system a full service so any advice as to what to do will be great so thanks in advance for any further help.

Paul

Old 11-23-05, 07:02 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A word to the wise:

While doing plumbing repair yesterday I happened to be a the home of a retired heating contractor who used to work on boilers. He said that these homeowners will repeatedly push the red button and flood the inside of the furnace, and he went to burn off the excess with a rolled up lit piece of paper and an explosion occured inside and blew the back of the duct apart. He said other people haven't been as lucky and have had these explosions come out the front through the inspection door and nail them in the face, all because someone flooded the inside by repeately pressing the red restart button.

Not to needlessly scare people, but it's good to know what can happen.

Old 11-24-05, 06:05 AM
U
what did you do to the motor? Did you get the coupler back on the right way? you say it starts on the second try. what happens on the first try? we need more info to help. I would think it's an oil filtration problem. by now you could have all sorts of junk in the line. the general filter most used at the tank is a bypass filter, meaning when it clogs it will let non filtered oil get to the unit. I always put 2 filters on a system. one at the tank and a spin on at the boiler. you need to change the filter, the pump strainer, and i would add the spin on filter now too. also you will need a new nozzle. If this is indeed the problem.
Mike

Old 11-24-05, 07:27 AM
paule
Visiting Guest
I took the motor out of the unit and stood it on the floor. switch the boiler on and motor span with no problems switched it off again after less than a second. Re-insterted it into boiler and fastened the two holding screws. On putting it back I had to turn the motor to locate. On switchin on it sounds as though the motor is not spinning. It sounds as if someting is clicking but nothing else. System shuts down with red light on. On second push of the button the motor ran up there was a short pause and then ignition up and running. The boiler ran for 1hr + then cut out again.

Old 11-24-05, 02:35 PM
U
when you take the motor out there is a plastic pipe with ends on it called a coupler. I've had one end strip before. the unit would run then cut out. the coupler goes from the motor to the pump. check to make sure it is ok. you'll have to take the motor out again.
Mike

Old 11-24-05, 02:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Motor problem

Paule, if you have a multimeter & know how to use it, I can tell you how to check the motor.

Old 11-25-05, 12:23 PM
paule
Visiting Guest
Well All

Thanks for sall your help. The filter was gloged with that much junk its not supprising it would not work. Have replaced the filter after acouple of final atempts all is working ok for now.

Thanks again as this is just in time for the big freeze.
Paul

Old 11-25-05, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Dirty filter

A word to the wise: Add a second filter to your system, as close to the burner as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: