bleeding and the like

Old 11-25-05, 01:35 PM
L
LaGattaDJ
Visiting Guest
Question bleeding and the like

Hello,

I have read almost all posts regarding bleeding air from a boiler system when there are NO bleeds on each individual base board radiator, however, none really match the set up I have. Here is what I have, large 2400 sq. ft. house, longest heat run is probably over 70 feet from boiler to radiator. I have 4 zones and I just dont believe the bbr's are as hot as they should be which leads me to believe there may be air in the system. I have posted some photos for your consideration with the hopes it will help you formulate an answer on how to get the air out. Thanks!! To view pics, go to: http://members.aol.com/lagattadj/boiler/

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-05, 02:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
System 2000

Do you hear water running in the system? If not, air is problably not your problem. BTW, nice looking Seagrave. What year? Still active?

Old 11-25-05, 03:00 PM
L
LaGattaDJ
Visiting Guest
Thanks Grady for the compliment on the 1962 531-KB-1000 Seagrave Pumper. She is in great running order, all 12 cylinders, no longer in service but is my own personal rig. It occupies about half of my garage.

Gee, I can't hear any water running through the pipes....I guess that rules out air. Is the psi of 20 an issue?

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Old 11-25-05, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dave

The 20 psi is a bit high but I would not be concerned unless it goes higher. Those gauges are notorious for their inaccuracy.

Re: Seagrave: Twelve cyl. OHV or flathead? Being a '62 I would have to presume OHV. 2 plugs/cyl?

Old 11-25-05, 03:31 PM
L
LaGattaDJ
Visiting Guest
Grady,

12 cyl. Flat Head. Yes on 2 plugs per cylinder as well as two completely seperate ignition systems.....FD fail safes! When I bought her, 6/12 pistons were melted. Rebuilt engine, started her up the first time and....... no oil pressure. Tore the oil pan off AGAIN, replaced oil pump and what do ya know, OIL Pressure was great.....guess I know why the pistons melted down.

OK, 15 x 15 foot room, 2 windows in room, how many feet of fin tube???

Dave

Old 11-25-05, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fin tube

Gotta have a little more info. Insulation (walls & ceiling), window size, ceiling height, number of outside walls. This is just for the heating & using the short form, LOL

Old 11-25-05, 04:24 PM
L
LaGattaDJ
Visiting Guest
Here goes,

Walls 2x6 R19, celing height 8', 2 outside walls, celing insulation R21, window size 60" x 31" times 2.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 11-25-05, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Red face Forgot stuff

I also need to know about the windows (double pane?), any doors on outside walls, & floor insulation (on grade, over crawl, over bsmt [heated or no]). Sorry.

Old 11-25-05, 04:52 PM
L
LaGattaDJ
Visiting Guest
Grady,

Double glazed low E glass, r-19 in the floor, basement temp 60 degrees all winter, yes heated to 60, no doors leading to the outside.

Tahnsk,

Dave

Old 11-25-05, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fin tube

Quick "short form" calculation shows about a 5000 btu/hr heat loss. Figuring 500 btu/hr/ft, this says 10 ft. of bsbd.

Old 11-25-05, 05:16 PM
L
LaGattaDJ
Visiting Guest
thanks Grady!!! Guess I need to figure out why the bsbd is not as hot as I think it should be.

Dave

Old 11-25-05, 05:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"cool" baseboard

After the heat has been on a while (aprox. 10-15 minutes) feel the pipes at the ends of the baseboard. If they are hot, the fins may need cleaning out. You would be surprised how much dust, lint, & especially pet hair collects on the fins. If not hot, check the boiler temperature.

Old 11-25-05, 05:27 PM
L
LaGattaDJ
Visiting Guest
Grady,

They are so hot in fact I can only leave my hand on the el. for a brief amount of time.......guess i will clean the fins next to see if thats the problem. Boiler temp is a steady 170 - 175.

Dave

Old 11-25-05, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another common problem

If there is not a couple of inches opening at the bottom of the baseboard it cannot conduct heat as it should. Often houses which have been retro-fitted with carpet have the carpet too close to the bottom of the bsbd.