end caps needed on baseboard?

Old 11-28-05, 01:24 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
end caps needed on baseboard?

Im going to run baseboard ina room from end to end. Do I need end caps ? Or can I run the baseboard right into the wall at each end. It would look a bit more finished that way I think - a bit neater. Are the end caps necessary?

Old 11-28-05, 02:30 PM
S
End caps are largely decorative. It's really tough to assemble baseboard to precisely match your room length so the caps will give some adjustability. I have never seen baseboard without them even when it runs end to end, but it's your house so what the hey...

Old 11-30-05, 12:06 PM
RSimplicio
Visiting Guest
Are you going to have shutoff/bleeder valves on that radiator?

All of my baseboards have end caps for most likely one reason: To access the shut-off valve at the supply end and the bleeder valve at the other. If you don't have these on that segment because you have a purge station, etc., go for it.

Old 11-30-05, 01:15 PM
X
I guess you can do that. My house has a run of heat that goes through a wall from one room to another, but there's a whole lot about this house that's odd so have no idea if that's code-acceptable or whatever. Only the 3/4" pipe goes right through the wall, not the whole baseboard/fin assembly. Fins stop a few inches shy of either side of the finished wall. However, it has end caps in each room with cut-outs in the wall ends of the end caps to fit around the pipe. Cut-outs are not visible anywhere in the room. The final look is totally acceptable. Just normal end caps that happen to be sitting flush against a wall. Trying to run baseboard itself through a wall is likely more trouble than it's worth and you'd end up with light, air etc. passing through the hole in wall where the damper needs to rotate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: