Amtrol expansion tank

Old 11-30-05, 06:59 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amtrol expansion tank

I am installing a Utica Boiler and my question is reference to an Amtrol expansion tank.On the tank,it says "Pre-Charge Pressure 12 PSI"

Do I install the tank as is or must I check the pressure with a guage and add air using a compressor making sure its at 12 psi12?

Old 11-30-05, 03:13 PM
RSimplicio
Visiting Guest
I would check it to be sure.

Old 11-30-05, 07:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Amtol tank

You betcha check it. If on the off chance you find it low, after bringing it up to 12#, check the air valve with soapy water. Once in a great while you will have one which leaks.

Old 11-30-05, 08:14 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys,I checked it.It was right at 12 psi.

Here are 2 more questions.
1)Do plumbers use anything special when connecting threaded pipe? I apply a thread sealent(pro-dope) to female ends and teflon tape to male ends.Is there anything out there which may be more fail-safe?

2)After the boiler is in,I will presserize the system.If there are any leaks(I pray there arent any),is there something I can apply to the outside of the leaky pipe without taking the pipe out? I have used some black pipe for the manifold and copper on the rest of the system.

Old 11-30-05, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Thread sealant

I do not use teflon tape. The stuff tends to tear off & cause all sorts of problems such as getting stuck under flow control valves & zone valves. Thread sealant should never be used on female threads, male only. Do not apply any kind of thread sealant to the first two threads if you can help it.

To save yourself potenial headaches from leaks, pressurize the system with air & check the joints with soapy water. It's a lot easier than draining a system to fix a leak.

When going from steel to copper you should use either a brass or cast iron fitting rather than making a direct connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: