Oil Boiler won't light

Old 12-02-05, 06:48 AM
mgm1986
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Oil Boiler won't light

Howdy,

I have an EFM (Emmaus Furnace Man) oil burner, Model PK440, roughly 10 years old. The manual can be found here:

http://www.efmheating.com/manuals/PK440%20Manual.pdf

I am currently running it with a 1.0 gph oil nozzle. Here is what's happening. A few weeks ago, the unit stopped firing. It would turn on, run for 30 seconds or so and then kick itself off because it never fired. So I replaced the oil nozzle and voila, fired right up. However a few days later it did the same thing. So I would push the electric start and it would fire, although sometimes I would have to trip it 2-3 times. And now it doesn't fire at all. Same symptoms as before I replaced the oil nozzle. It runs for 30 seconds and then trips off, never fires. I haven't worried to much because until yesterday it was staying around 68 in my house. However it is now getting below 60 and I do not want a frozen pipe. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am going to replace the nozzle again today as a last ditch effort before I call in the experts.

Also, when the unit does fire up, it runs great until it hits the thermostat setting, usually 68.

I am open for any suggestions!

Old 12-02-05, 02:36 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your unit sounds like it needs a tune up. Call in a pro now.They have all the tools, and testing equipment needed. When you push the red button and the unit doesn't fire, oil could be spraying into the chamber. This would NOT be good. It needs new filters, pump screen, nozzle, cleaning, oiling, the safty devices( low water cut-out) needs to be checked. oil pressure check, and so on.
Mike

Old 12-02-05, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Agreed

I agree with utumike. You have already created a possible dangerous situation & with your limited knowledge you could get hurt, hurt someone else, or cause a fire. STOP NOW. Call a pro & be sure to tell him/her what you have done, especially how many times you've pushed the button without the unit firing. DON'T LIE Peoples lives could depend on it.

Old 12-04-05, 05:13 PM
mgm1986
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I did exactly that and called a pro. Nice and Warm now! Thanks again for all your help!

Old 12-04-05, 07:07 PM
Guzz
Visiting Guest
How do ----still having problems???Try replacing the circuit board.Been down this road at -25 fer.I changed nozzles,electrodes,filters,pump---all because I was told that the circuit board either worked or didn't work.Well that is not the case.If you have the type of contactors that cannot be cleaned with a points file or emery you will most likely have to change the board.Good luck.
Originally Posted by mgm1986
Howdy,

I have an EFM (Emmaus Furnace Man) oil burner, Model PK440, roughly 10 years old. The manual can be found here:

http://www.efmheating.com/manuals/PK440%20Manual.pdf

I am currently running it with a 1.0 gph oil nozzle. Here is what's happening. A few weeks ago, the unit stopped firing. It would turn on, run for 30 seconds or so and then kick itself off because it never fired. So I replaced the oil nozzle and voila, fired right up. However a few days later it did the same thing. So I would push the electric start and it would fire, although sometimes I would have to trip it 2-3 times. And now it doesn't fire at all. Same symptoms as before I replaced the oil nozzle. It runs for 30 seconds and then trips off, never fires. I haven't worried to much because until yesterday it was staying around 68 in my house. However it is now getting below 60 and I do not want a frozen pipe. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am going to replace the nozzle again today as a last ditch effort before I call in the experts.

Also, when the unit does fire up, it runs great until it hits the thermostat setting, usually 68.

I am open for any suggestions!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: