Water Pressure In CH system

Old 12-02-05, 07:08 AM
KatiePatatie
Visiting Guest
Water Pressure In CH system

Hi,

I think my problem is probably quite a simple one so excuse me for my thickness and I hope someone can help.

I have a worcester 240 boiler and yesterday I decided to bleed the radiators in the house as a few of them felt a bit cold on top. Once I had bled the radiators I noticed the pressure gauge on the front of the boiler was quite low - nearly at 0. So I turned on the tap that was on this loop underneath to let some water back in to increase the pressure, only I forgot there would be some delay between the reading and me turning the tap off. I have now managed to put too much water into the system and the pressure gauge is reading at 3.5psi (the red line sits ~ 1.5psi). I thought I could reduce the pressure by letting some water out of the radiators but this didn't seem to do anything. (Don't know if I had let enough water out though)
Is there some simple way to reduce this pressure that I don't know about and I'm not going to make something explode by having the pressure this high am I?

Thanks

Katy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-05, 09:08 AM
RSimplicio
Visiting Guest
Katy,

You have forced hot water radiators, correct? I am assuming you do not have steam because you wouldn't need to bleed them. 3.5 psi sounds awefully low for a hot water system. My boiler is at between 12 & 16 psi, and the 12 was as I was bleeding the system. Do you have what is called a Pressure Reducing Valve (you'll see it called a PRV around here)? Or is it a "manual fill" system? (The PRV should maintain the pressure in the system, adding water from your cold water supply when the pressure in your system drops). The PRV would be on the incoming cold water line, and it looks like a domed or bell-shaped valve, with a screw on top usually. But please don't add more water until one of the "pros" comments on this, at least not from my statements above.

Oh yeah, and pictures are worth a thousand words, so if you could take pictures of your piping around your boiler, and maybe also that pressure gauge, post them somewhere (there are several free picture sites), and then paste the link here, it might help in diagnosing your issue.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-05, 09:10 AM
RSimplicio
Visiting Guest
Are you sure those are decimals?

I just re-read your post, and I'm wondering if you mean it's currently at 35 psi and the red line is at 15 psi, which would make more sense. Again, a picture might help clarify this.

Old 12-02-05, 09:45 AM
KatiePatatie
Visiting Guest
I did get the units wrong...opps. The gauge is measured in bars.

There doesn't seem to be anything else around except for pipes and the tap I used to fill it back up - No dome shaped thing.

I was also wondering if it would be alright for me to put the heating on?

Thanks

Last edited by KatiePatatie; 12-02-05 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-02-05, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
3.5 Bars

If I remember correctly, one bar = about 14.7 psig. If the gauge is right, your system pressure is WAY too high. The relief valve should be dumping water. DO NOT TURN THE SYSTEM ON. CALL A PRO NOW.

Old 12-02-05, 04:55 PM
KatiePatatie
Visiting Guest
How do I dump the water myself? Shouldn't there be something somewhere for me to release the water?

Old 12-02-05, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
For your safety

Do not mess with this system. You have a major safety device which is not functioning or a gauge which is not reading correctly. Obviously the latter is not a big deal but a boiler with 50+ pounds of pressure on it is a big deal. Call a pro.

Old 12-03-05, 06:03 AM
KatiePatatie
Visiting Guest
Hi again,

I've called a plumber out and he has told me that the system should be okay until he gets round because my boiler does seem to be dumping water (I found one of the pipes round the back of the house with continuously running water and the gauge keeps fluctuating between just under 3 bars and just over). What I don't understand is why the pressure in the system isn't going back down if the system is dumping all this water. (Probably costing me a fortune having all this water running for days on end not to mention it not being good to the environment and all that.)

Thanks

Katy

Last edited by KatiePatatie; 12-05-05 at 10:34 AM.