H/W baseboards

Old 12-06-05, 04:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy H/W baseboards

I have a Weil- Mclain boiler that I use for baseboard heat. We've recently bought this house and have had nothing but problems with this. This WAS also used for our hoy water, I have now changed to electric h/w.
The problem is that I think that the furnace runs too much and we are using too much oil. We have recently had the furnace cleaned. I have been told that we could have a leak somewhere. I have also tried to bleed the baseboards and I get a steady stream of water and no air. There is no visable water leak that I can see.
Is there something that I can do tofind a leak if there is one. And also is there some type of a stop leak, like car radiators available? If so, how is it put in?
Thanks from a rookie new homeowner!!!
dtman02

Old 12-06-05, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Leak??

What makes you or your service person think there is a leak?

Old 12-06-05, 07:45 PM
D
H/W baseboards

I have been told that if it seems that the furnace turns on often that it may be losing water. I don't know how to tell or if this is "normal". The previous owner put the system in by himself, after the furnace turns off I can hear what sounds like dripping, but don't know if it is the way the pipes are layed(resting on wood,pipes through holes in the wall resting on wood or what).
Sorry I don't know too much. When I physically move or put pressure on the pipe where I "hear" the leak, the noise stops.
Thanks for the reply,
dtman02

Old 12-06-05, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Leak

I think what you are hearing is the normal expansion & contraction of the pipes as they heat & cool.
If you are on metered water, you can watch the water meter to see if water is going somewhere. If the meter shows flow, then you have to determine it is not a toilet, faucet, dishwasher, etc. Another way is to shut off the feed water to the boiler & keep an eye on the pressure in the boiler over a period of a few hours to a week or more. The problem with frequent running can often be traced to a control. This is FAR more common than a water leak causing the on/off cycling.

Old 12-22-05, 06:37 PM
D
thanks

Thanks for the reply and I will keep on eye on those things!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: