Thermostat to boiler,then no flame

Old 12-06-05, 06:07 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
Thermostat to boiler,then no flame

I have 3 zones, here is picture: http://photobucket.com/albums/d168/k...Boilerview.jpg

The top zone valve opens and closes its valve, and the red lite flashes on the little white box that you can see inside the boiler, but then no flame to heat the water....

I get heat into the rooms only when this valve is open and either of the next 2 zones are started....

So I leave the top zone thermostat at 80 and the middle zone at 70, and this heats the effected rooms...

I have switched the thermostats, that didn't change anything...

Do you think my problem is in the top control zone valve or in the little white box, with the igniter.... or do I have a relay stuck somewhere?

TIA for your help.........
Ken...

Old 12-06-05, 06:51 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
Forgot to add that I have this Aquastat Relay: http://customer.honeywell.com/Techli...0s/60-2278.pdf

Old 12-06-05, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Zone problem

When another zone is heating, does the baseboard (?) in the troublesome zone get hot?

Old 12-06-05, 08:05 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
Yes it does..in fact heats the room pretty good, but when the desired heat is obtained in the other room it quits heating in the affected room...

Old 12-06-05, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No heat in zone

Without knowing how the system is wired/controled, I would have to suspect a bad end switch on the zone valve. I could not see the white box with the red light in the boiler so I don't know what that is. Does this red light come on whenever any zone is calling for heat?

Old 12-06-05, 08:23 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
yes the red light does come on when any of the 3 call for heat.. the white box is next to the Aquastat relay box..

Old 12-06-05, 08:28 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
The white box is marked:

White-Rogers Div
Emerson Elec
Model 50F47-60

Old 12-06-05, 08:53 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
Old 12-07-05, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Relay?

Do you have some kind of relays in the system? R845 relays maybe?

Old 12-07-05, 05:53 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
I really do not know about the R845's , but there probably is, one for each zone..... probably inside the Gray Aquastat box....

Do you think that is the problem?

Thanks for all your help..

Ken.............

Old 12-07-05, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My fault

With zone valves you would not have 845 relays, duh.
I'm trying to get a picture in my mind of how your system is configured:
3 zone valves, what kind? (Honeywell would likely have five terminals & Taco would have three terminials)
1 circulator (powered off of terminals C1 & C2 on the aquastat, correct?
Does circulator run when troublesome zone calls for heat & the valve opens?
One wire going to terminal T & one to terminal TV on the aquastat?
The white box is powered off of terminals B1 & B2, correct?
Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to figure out what you have.

Old 12-10-05, 11:40 AM
kens60
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply's Grady...

3 Honeywell zone valves #9041 with 2 pictures....
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...60/dsc_143.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ionsswitch.jpg the top valve is marked SYNCHRON Honewell 9041 while the other 2 are marked: SYNCHRON Honeywell 9114
I'm thinking the 9041 (top) has been changed out before.. also this valve and box gets real hot, (too hot to hold your hand on it) while the other 2 get warm, but you can hold your hand on it..... make sense??

1 Circulator is correct... here is pic:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ulatorpump.jpg
and it is wired to C1 & C2 on the Aquastat.... When troublesome zone calls for heat the valve opens ok, and the relay (i think its a relay) inside the Aquastat clicks on then off, and the ccirculator pump does not run... with the other 2 zones the relay stays in and the pump runs...

Wire to T is blue and the one to TV is yellow in the aquastat... and the white box is powered off terminals B1 (blue wire) & B2 (white wire) here is pic: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ilerwiring.jpg

TIA fer your help Grady, its so great to have this help when we almost know what we are doing.....

Ken........

Old 12-10-05, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
zone valve

Those valves are V8043's the motor in the valve is Synchron. The 9041 & 9114 are date codes. 9041 is the 41st week of 1990 & 9114 is the 14th week of 1991.
Back to your problem: If you look at the wires in the valves, you will see two hooked to the motor & the other two go to a micro switch. If you have a multimeter & know how to use it, you can check the wires which go to the switch. When the thermostat is calling for heat & the valve opens, you should get continuity thru that pair of wires. If you do not, as I suspect you won't, the end switch is bad. It is not hard to change but can be hard to find.
That wiring is certainly not the neatest in the world so it might be a good idea to check the wire nut connections. It could be as simple as a bad connection in the wire nuts.

Old 12-10-05, 10:51 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
What a great big help you are Grady, I thank you from the bottom of my heart...

One more thing, I need a wilkins 750 backflow preventer and this V8043 motor assembly..... going to both wilkins.com and honeywell.com I can not find a page to purchase these... I've looked at plumbingsupply.com and nowhere can I find these items to purchase.... Can you give me a hint on where I might go to purchase these ??

Thanks again,

Ken........

Old 12-11-05, 04:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't want to jump into Gradys thread here but it looks like I woke up earlier today. I don't think you want just the motor for that zone valve. If you had an end switch problem you will want the whole replacement head. Heres a link to what I think you are looking for but the price is not very attractive. You may do better buying the whole valve locally.
http://www.partsguy.com/cgi-bin/Part...003916026.html
As for the backflow preventer, Watts is popular in my area and I would suggest replacing the whole thing with a brand that is popular in your area. Then you can repair as needed later. Good luck with the rest of your project.

Ken

Old 12-11-05, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ken & Ken

KField: Thanks for the help here. With only two of us here for the most part, the way I see it is you scratch my back & I'll scratch yours.

Kens60: KField's advice was right on the money. I didn't mean to lead you to belive the motor would fix your problem. If you get the whole valve you can just pirate the parts you need.

Old 12-11-05, 08:54 PM
kens60
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys..You've really been a great help....

kens60.........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: