Flushing Heating System

Old 12-07-05, 07:05 AM
neumonik
Visiting Guest
Flushing Heating System

I've been reading up on heating system maintenance and came across a web page talking about flushing heating systems. The idea is much like back flushing a cars cooling system, to dislodge slug and scale.

I have a pretty old oil boiler and I'm looking to stretch its life as long as I can. From what I've read it will increase the efficiency of the system as a whole and increase the heat output of the radiators. I've been checking mine and they are showing the signs that the web page pointed out as being slug build-up problems. Hot on top cold on bottom. I've bled the air from the lines which helped in a few rooms.

Can anyone give any input on this? Does anyone know of someone in NE PA that does this and how much it would run?

Thanks. :mask:

Old 12-07-05, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Flushing heating system

I soundly disagree with flushing a system unless absolutely necessary. Adding fresh water to a heating system is one of the worst things you can do to it.

Old 12-08-05, 05:35 AM
neumonik
Visiting Guest
At the risk of sound stupid... why is it bad to add fresh water to a heating system? Isn't it worse to keep bad water in?

If the system is apart, say durring the installation of a new furnace is it something that should be done then since it's all apart anyway?

Here is the link that got me asking about it.. i know this is a UK company.
http://www.kamco.co.uk/powerflushing.htm

Old 12-08-05, 02:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No dumb question

Water, the most universal solvent known to man, is by it's nature either aggressive or deposit forming. Over time in a closed system the water has done all of the damage it is going to do & becomes neutral. When you add fresh water you start the process all over again. I have seen new boilers eaten out in less than ten years due to the constant infusion of fresh water.
If you are changing out a boiler & want to flush the system, fine, but once the system if filled, the introduction of fresh water should be kept to a minimum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: