noise in hot water system

Old 12-07-05, 07:27 PM
nicky
Visiting Guest
noise in hot water system

Our house is about 22 years old, we have a closed hot water system. The house is one and one half stories. The upper floor has one zone. Frequently we get these very loud banging noises in the system, upstairs. What is causing this and how can it be repaired?

Old 12-08-05, 10:50 AM
ap17
Visiting Guest
I having somewhat the same problem.

Weil Mclein boiler HW heat closed.

I noticed loud banging noise during heat-up and circulation.

Especially during very cold outdoor temps.

I replaced the cir pump a couple years ago and spilled some water from the system in the process.

How can I effectively bleed the air out? When I go upstairs to the farthest radiator, I don't get alot of pressure and water comes out soon.

Can I force water in backwards thru the drain valve at the bottom of the boiler? Then go up to each radiator and bleed?

I replaced the expansion tank with a newer type and properly sized.

thanks

ap

Old 12-08-05, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Noise problems

Nicky: Do you have Honeywell zone valves? If so, make sure they are installed correctly (not backward).

ap17: You should not need to force water. The pressure reducing valve should supply sufficient pressure to push the water to the top floor. When bleeding radiators, any air is too much to have in the system. You should get water as soon as you open the bleeder vavle & continue to get just water as long as the valve is open.

Old 12-09-05, 06:21 AM
ap17
Visiting Guest
Yesterday was in the teens all day. I turned my heat down to 50 so it had not run while I was gone(so it seems).

When I got home I turned up the thermosat so the boiler started. I have now localized the noise coming directly from the boiler (Weil McClain). The pounding noise originates in the boiler and resonates through the pipes connected to the boiler. The noise ONLY occurs during heat up with the flame on.

When the flame is off=no noise.

What could be the problem?

I have opened the drain valve and the water generally is clean.
I live in a soft water area.
thanks

ap

Last edited by ap17; 12-09-05 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-09-05, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Banging noise

KField covered this well in the thread entitled "Banging noise in Utica boiler". This is a common problem with dry base boilers & almost all gas fired boilers are of the dry base type.

Old 12-09-05, 05:50 PM
ap17
Visiting Guest
Whats a dry base boiler?

Old 12-09-05, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dry Base boiler

A dry base boiler is one on which the flame is not surrounded by water. They are like a pot sitting on a stove. Most gas fired boilers are dry base. Many oil fired are wet base where the flame is surrounded on all sides (except the front) by water.

Old 12-12-05, 05:27 AM
nicky
Visiting Guest
how do I find the thread by kfield titled banging noise in utica boiler? I'm new to this forum.

Old 12-12-05, 09:57 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old 12-19-05, 06:39 AM
ap17
Visiting Guest
Problem Solved,

I forwarded this thread to my uncle who plays with boilers for a pastime because he's not a member here.

When he saw that the first post said 175 degree water temp. he told me thats way too hot and lower the temp. setting. I did see here that cold water hitting super heated water is going to make noise, and did it ever.

That was not my reply, but he did tell me to check the water temp. I did and the temp was set to 180 degrees.

A simple adjustment of the high level temp control down to 145 solved my problem completely. No more water noise and most of all no more banging from the boiler. For 3 years I put up with all that noise needlessly and one HW pipe is against the CA trunk duct so the pounding resonated throughout the house.

One simple adjustment.

ap

Old 12-19-05, 04:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
145 Hi limit?

Most boiler manufacturers want this as a low limit (fears of condensation in the boiler flueways).

Old 12-19-05, 06:47 PM
ap17
Visiting Guest
I'm using a Weil McClain cast iron boiler going to CI radiators cir 1951.

The setting range was 140 to 180 and 180 was where it was set. Until I lowered it.

I have the paper work, but not sure it mentions HL settings.

When you say boiler fluways, are you talking about cast iron sections and water jackets, or the exhaust flu?

I have an electric damper that closes when flame turns off.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the silence. There used to be water noise as the pump starts up and pounding a few minutes later as water was heated. Now its quiet, Too Quite. ;-).

ap

Old 12-19-05, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ap17

You must have an L8148 aquastat with only one temperature setting. For some reason, I was thinking you had a L8124 (triple aquastat). The condensation I was talking about occurs between the cast iron sections thru which the hot gasses flow to transfer heat to the water. If 145 heats the house, good for you. The lower temperature at which you can run the boiler & still be comfortable, the cheaper it is to operate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: